Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

letter received from Farmers re: accident I never had ??

Posted by Pauline 
I received a letter today (Presorted First Class - mailed from ZIP code 60506) addressed to me on letterhead looking like it had been run through a photocopy machine a thousand times from the Farmers Insurance Group National Document Center at P. O. Box 268991, Oklahoma City, OK 73126-8992.

The letter states:

"We understand that you were involved in an incident on 10/29/2007 with our insured Audrey Jeanne Smith. The investigation of the facts indicates you are responsible for the damages in the amount of $1,313,63. The amount you owe may increase due to additional medical or property damage payments.
Farmers Insurance Exchange must recover its losses from you. If you carried liability insurance on the date of the incident you need to present a claim to your insurance company and provide us with the claim information. Please complete the bottom portion of this letter with your insurance information and return it immediately in the enclosed envelope to avoid further action against you.
If you did not have insurance for this loss, enclose $1,313,63 to settle this claim. If you cannot pay the entire amount in a lump sum payment, please call me at 630-907-6947 to make payment arrangements.
You must respond within seven (7) days to avoid further action being taken again you.
Sincerely,
Farmers Insurance Exchange
/s/ Jennifer Haviar
Auto Triage Subrogation Representative
...and it gives a claim number.

The problem with all of this is that I have not had an accident since 1975!! And on their supposed date of incident, I was home all day. ???

I figured it was some kind of scam/hoax.
Anyone ever gotten something like this before?

signed,
Bumfuzzled in Louisiana

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

OMG I received a very similar letter! And the funny thing is that I don't have insurance, I don't have a car, and I don't even have a driver's license and the letter was sent to my grandma's address! I've never been in an accident in my life? Have you found anything else out about this??

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

I got the same letter. What kind of scam is this; and which authorities should I report these people? Cathy

Try to file with your state's SCC insurance department and they should help you out

i'm going thru the same thing . my dgtr, lost her insurance card and someone is trying to claim my dgtr, fell against her car and scratched, why would my dgtr, give her auto insurance info. when she was walking? the date and place of the incident has changed twice but farmers agent is treating us like criminals and are determined to pay off this claim.i'm looking to switch fast.

My advise for anyone receiving this type of letter is to file a Department of Insurance Complaint with your state government. The web master of this site can direct you to a link for your state, and you can even file a complaint on-line.

By filing a complaint with the Department of Insurance in your state you will force Farmers Insurance Group to investigate each incident and ensure your name or personal information is removed from their files or to find out what scammer is sending the letters out.

Farmers better be all over this issue to protect innocent people from falling victim to a scam that will further shame the company name, or if Farmers has sent these out - perhaps a class action law suit will be needed to bring relief to those whose names may be affected and damaged by a Farmers screw up.

OF BIG CONCERN is if Farmers is sending these notices out - and you were not involved - you bet they have entered your name in the National Insurance Crime Bureau database that documents most all accidents in the United States. THIS IS A BIG WARNING TO YOU - that that database is checked by insurance underwritiers to see if you have prior claims, and if an false claim shows up YOU MAY BE DENIED INSURANCE, CANCELLED OR PAY A SIGNIFICANTLY HIGHER RATE!!!!!

Also please note if you are a minority be very thourough to ask the Department of Insurance if these claim notices have only been sent to minorities. It would not suprise me that a blackballing situation - red lining or some other nefarious sinister company program may be in the works...

Blue eyes and Blonde hair - Take Care!

Sounds like the subro unit has been given marching orders to pull out the phone book again.... Hey, that's just my opinion.

If I were an innocent victim of this scam I would make a complaint immediately to the Department of Insurance of my state. If Farmers sent me this letter as stated, I would make the complaint against Farmers Insurance Group.

This complaint will force Farmers Insurance Group to actively investigate the source of the letters and stop this immoral activity. Farmers could sick their corporate auditing team or National Research down in FL to find the culprits. Don't call the DIAL Farmers ethics hotline though because I think it may be outsourced to India...

Hey, that's just my opinion!

You should pull a credit report on yourself. I've seen this happen where someone stole a person's identity and then got into an accident.

I just received a similar letter today! I'm going to call appropriate agencies tomorrow and my lawyer and the CA Dept. of Insurance to report this and get to the bottom of things. It is annoying!

Re: letter received from Farmers re: accident I never had ??
September 17, 2009 05:48PM
Everyone, don't send or give the original letter or any original papers to any one. Make copies to send, and keep the originals and keep a detailed history of all your actions.

I got a similar and called them back. The agent said they have 3 different witnesses. Well! The key is I did not do it. They also said that they have a police report. But when I requested them to give me the police report and the guy said he would contact my iinsurance compony and asked me to do that.

I called my insurance company right away and an adjuster is assigned to me. I am waiting for their investigation. Couple days later. Another later from Farmers and requested 1216.93. But no specifc damage informatioin is provided.

Only stated
"yOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OR PART OF THE MATERIAL DAMAGE, BODILY INJURY, PROPERTY DAMAGE, MEDICAL, AND/ OR RELATED EXPENSE PAYMENTS PAID ON OUR INSURED'S BEHALF"

I am an Asian girl and I agree what Longway said. If this notice is only sent to minorities, shame on this company.

I actually just received the same letter but for $5000.00
Saying that same thing and I haven't been in an accident 16 years the same day I received another letter from a collection agency asking for the $5000.00 how can they do this I'm so confused about how to even handle it I might need a lawyer

What was the outcome of this i just recieved the same letter

As of June 2021 I received a similar letter asking for 2682 sent which is funny because the same day they say I had the accident the same as take out insurance and bought a new truck which is kind of fishy one more thing I am Mexican American LOL

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
VUCNH
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.