Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Two cars on same policy if you crash them into each other, you pay 2 deductibles?

Posted by David Corrado 
I have never heard of this. My fiance backed her car into mine and we are insured with farmers and under the same policy. Farmers say we have to pay 2 deductibles. Has anyone heard of this? I asked around and no one has heard of this. All I was told when I signed up for this is that the insurance would be cheaper. I did not know the coverage would change.

From others I have talked to they have not heard of this.

I also heard that when you submit the claim they do not write checks to you and only to the body shop. Have you heard of this?

Finally I also hear that they will only allow you to take your cars to certain body shops?

What can I do with the above 3 questions. Any responses would be very helpful. Thanks.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Re: Two cars on same policy if you crash them into each other, you pay 2 deductibles?
January 13, 2011 02:04PM
In response to these:

2 Deductibles
--Yes, you will have two deductibles under the policy. You cant be liable to yourself so you cant have a liability claim against yourself.

I also heard that when you submit the claim they do not write checks to you and only to the body shop. Have you heard of this?

--Depends on what state your in. In the states I worked, they can make the check to you (if no lien), to you and the lien, or you and the body shop. Up to you.

Finally I also hear that they will only allow you to take your cars to certain body shops?

--This is totally incorrect, regardless of what state your in. It is always your choice in deciding the repair shop. They might not put them on the check with you, but thats usually an IRS issue. They only guarantee certain shops repairs.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Re: Two cars on same policy if you crash them into each other, you pay 2 deductibles?
January 14, 2011 05:48AM
Yes, each car has it's own coverage and deductibles. You can ask the adjuster to direct you to the portion of the policy that states the ded. You should have 2 claims too. One for each car.

They write the check to the body shop to make it easier. If you make payments on your car the ins co is required to protect the interest of all owners, including the bank. So, if you have a loan the check would be made out to the bank and all reg. owners. You can't cash the check without the bank signing off on the check. They usually won't do that until the car is fixed. Also, if you have a bank that is out of state you will be spending a lot of time trying to get them to sign it over to you. If you are the legal owner they can issue it to you but the damage they are paying for will be restricted from coverage until it is fixed and you show your agent.

You are not required to use a body shop that works with an ins co. Usually the bigger/better ones work with ins cos. Also, you usually get a better warranty. The body shops usually need to meet certain requirements ( training, ins, quality standards). Again, not required, but sometimes helpful and faster.

David Corrado Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never heard of this. My fiance backed her
> car into mine and we are insured with farmers and
> under the same policy. Farmers say we have to pay
> 2 deductibles. Has anyone heard of this?

Not necessarily. It depends on the language of your policy. I recently had to educate my insurance company (GEICO) on why they could not charge me two (2) deductibles in the same situation based on their own policy language. Remarkably, I found out that while the employees adjusted thousands of these claims every year, no one had actually read the entire policy. They finally agreed with me and only charged one deductible repairing both cars.

> I also heard that when you submit the claim they
> do not write checks to you and only to the body
> shop. Have you heard of this?

If you have a lien on your car (owe money on it), this will generally be done to make sure that the work is actually performed. The insurance company will say they are protecting the lienholder. I am not certain this is required by the terms of your policy. This is similar to when you have a major homeowner's claim. The insurance company will usually put the mortgage company on the check to make sure the repairs are done.

> Finally I also hear that they will only allow you
> to take your cars to certain body shops?

The insurance company owes you for the cost of repairing your vehicle. As long as the repair bill for the body shop you choose is reasonable (matches the insurance companies repair estimate), you have a right to have the repairs done by the facility of our choice.

July 11, 2012 11:28PM
I dont know what state your in, but in most states and with Farmers, you will pay 2 deductibles. the deal here is this, you cant be liable to your self, so you cant have a liability claim against your self. If the cars are on 2 different policies, there should not be any deductible on the one car not moving, but, you cant have dual ownership on either vehicle either.

David Corrado Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never heard of this. My fiance backed her
> car into mine and we are insured with farmers and
> under the same policy. Farmers say we have to pay
> 2 deductibles. Has anyone heard of this? I asked
> around and no one has heard of this. All I was
> told when I signed up for this is that the
> insurance would be cheaper. I did not know the
> coverage would change.
>
> From others I have talked to they have not heard
> of this.
>
> I also heard that when you submit the claim they
> do not write checks to you and only to the body
> shop. Have you heard of this?
>
> Finally I also hear that they will only allow you
> to take your cars to certain body shops?
>
> What can I do with the above 3 questions. Any
> responses would be very helpful. Thanks.

My friend i read your quote and i suggest you that you should take some advice to Allied group.i think this insurance group provide the best solutions and services.

The key is reading what the policy actually says. You are correct that you cannot sue yourself under the policy. But this is exactly why when 2 cars on the same policy collide (e.g., your typical someone backs into one of their other cars in the driveway), each claim is filed under "collision" and not liability.

So basically two (2) collision claims from the same policy arise from one accident.

With Geico, its policy specifically states that when multiple losses arise from the same occurrence, only one deductible is charged. The problem is that the Geico adjusters have never read their own policy. They settle claims based on what the company has told them the policy says. And what the company has told them is incorrect.

If Farmers has the same restriction on deductibles for multiple losses from one occurrence, you can make the same argument.

Rodney has the correct answer. If you own both cars, then two deductibles apply because you can't make a property damage claim against yourself for the damage caused by the other car. But if each is in a different name, then you can file a property damage claim against your fiance's policy and only her deductible applies. In my case, I rearended my husband at low speed. My insurance company tried to tell me what they told you, but I eventually convinced them they were in error. If your name is on both titles, though, you're out of luck. Call your state insurance department if you don't get a satisfactory resolution.

i have merucry insurance my wife hit my car do we have to pay 2 deductibles

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
mjduw
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.