Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

HOMEOWNERS CANCELLED???

Posted by jett 
HOMEOWNERS CANCELLED???
September 22, 2008 11:03AM
Has anyone had their homeowners cancelled for no reason, or can't find out the reason??? After 14 years, I got a notice that my homeowners was cancelled due to excessive vegetation(what?), deterioration (new roof) and siding issues (one panel fell in storm 2 months ago, one panel mind you). My agent could not get info from the underwriter as to specific vegeation that was overgrown. He could not tell me what deterioration there was, and said that their underwriters were nit-picky. I said what the hell were they doing cancelling a policy for a property that was unchanged in 14 years! And...why not a letter saying here's what we think needs to be fix or clipped or removed BEFORE they cancel. This is so arbitrary and I have NEVER heard of an insurance company monitoring shrubs, or ivy! If they're worried about the trees on my property, then they need to recall those trees have been there long before my house was! I am about to cancel my auto (after 32 years) and combine the homeowners and auto with Tenn. Farm Bureau.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Julia
Re: HOMEOWNERS CANCELLED???
November 24, 2008 02:46PM
I know what your going to but it only took them 2 weeks to cancel my home owners insurance. And that was from them going to the wrong house, cancelled policy same day. Then after I fixed that, I had to send them pictures to re-enstate the insurance while I was remodling, and they saw a toilet sitting in the carport, due to all the floors being redone, cash value from there. Well I cancelled within a couple weeks after that. Lastly I cancelled in May and in July my excrow screwed up and sent them a check, on their own they reinstated my policy without my permission. Now I am waiting for a check of reinbursement, or they will be handling this is court.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

June 29, 2009 09:45PM
They just did this to us as well. They stated that we had "debris piles" and "unregistered vehicles" on the property. Well, I sent them pictures of the valid registration stickers easily found on all of the cars and cleaned up the garden hose and basketball (the co-called "debris piles"winking smiley. Of course, they still cancelled the policy. From what I've read here they did us a favor! I'll be trying my hardest to raise hell for Farmers in my part of CT for the next few months. I've already contacted my friends at the local TV station. I'm writing a nice letter for the State Attorney General, Better Business Bureau, and local legislators. And I'm filing a formal complaint with the state's insurance commission.

I received a letter yesterday informing me that Farmer's would no longer cover my property under my existing policy by non-renewal. It seems when I notified the Farmer's Insurance agent when I received the renewal notice several months back that the policy information on my home was incorrect, and now I am notified they will not be renewing. Seems paying on time and never having a claim does not make good relations between your company and the policy holder.

Additionally, when I treid to send them an email on THEIR site using THIER email, I got an error message ... Use alphanumeric characters only. Do not use hyphens or other characters. No hyphens or other characters (other than punctuation) was used.

January 27, 2010 11:20AM
I had bought my first home in November 2009 and decided to go with Farmers because I had a friend who had just become an agent for them and the premium was quite reasonable for the coverage provided if I signed up for the whole Auto/Home/Life package. My home is older (built 1926), and at some point was re-sided with slate/concrete board. When I signing up for the policy, I told my agent I have slate siding, which he put on my application, and I got the policy. Not even two months later my agent calls me to say that he received notice that Farmers is dropping my policy because I have asbestos siding. I had no knowledge of this, but after doing a little research, they are probably correct (although the siding would have to be tested to confirm). Most concrete board siding that was manufactured up until around the 80's did contain asbestos until it was outlawed.

Now I understand Farmers does have every legal right to deny coverage under their own rules which govern the types of risk they are willing to assume, but I thought this was rather ridiculous. I did a lot of searching online for other stories of people who had homeowners insurance dropped because of asbestos, and came up with almost nothing. My thoughts, and this is only opinion, is that finding small reasons like this to drop policy holders is Farmer’s way of drawing a red line around an area they don’t want to insure in the first place, but can’t legally deny coverage just based on the location (I’m in the city of Milwaukee).

Furthermore, I am glad my agent contacted me directly about 2 weeks prior to my policy being dropped, because the official notice from Farmers did not arrive in my mailbox until about 3 days prior to the end of the policy. The really laughable part is that this mailed notice actually said that I should have significant time to secure coverage through a different provider!

My agent offered me a homeowner’s policy through a Farmers subsidiary, Foremost, for more than twice my original premium. Obviously I shopped around and got coverage through a different insurer, Secura, who offered me a reasonable rate on reasonable coverage, even when I flat out told them my siding likely contains asbestos.

In the end, Farmers lost all of my policies (auto/life/home) and I couldn’t be happier to be rid of them after reading all of the complaints on this site. Luckily I didn’t have to file any claim during the short time I was under them, as it seems that screwing over their policy holders is what they do best. I don’t blame my agent (again, friend of mine), in fact I feel sorry for him being under such an awful company and hope he doesn’t get screwed by them too!

August 04, 2010 02:42PM
Farmers promptly canceled my insurance as the shingles over hung the roof's edge by more than 1/4", while I was putting a new roof on the house. Tell me they could not see we were still working on it. The step ladders and bits of shingles, buckets of nails should have been a clue to a person of minimal education. If this company so picky as to cancel insurance while your working on it, I'll bet their paying of real claims is non existent.

Jo
August 09, 2010 08:25PM
I had ice storm damage & neighbors tree rubbing on my roof. I paid my lawn service to trim the tree and called to make a claim. Of coarse they denied me. I thought they would contribute to the part of the roof that was most worn. I replaced my roof. 6 months later I received a non-renewal for my HO INS. They said they had to take pics of the roof. Now they told me they have to not re-instate because my drive way and a couple of cement steps that are a liability. I have had this co. Since "91". Never filed a claim except for the roof damage on the one side(& recently denied). It's an older home and the roof was probably about 10 yrs. old (was not expecting a new roof but only damage)and I have been updating many things. Because of driveway cost that was next. In their policy THEY are covered. For someone who is updating and does not have it ALL completed and perfect to all the stipulations in the policy, it doesn't pay to call them because they automatically deny and then will victimize the homeowner. It is to their advantage and they only will insure perfect properties and suck up the premiums. Now I will have to get the driveway done ($$) & probably have to pay high premiums for a small home. The insurance companies (this one for sure) is enslaving the public to keep building their empires. Thank God for Jesus & the promise of salvation. Heaven is where it's at...NOT this beatiful land with greedy big businesses that are full of crap!

November 28, 2010 10:38PM
I have a cancellation on my homeowners. It just came out of the blue. The letter has no reason why and can write and get it but I think if they can send me a cancellation why can't they give me a reason on that letter. I had a claim on my roof last year and it took the act of congress to get a adjuster out here . Then forever for the roofer to get his money because they sent it to our lien holder which then sent it in 3 installments. The first installment did not even pay for the roofing materials. Which farmers said it was not their problem since they had already issued a check. I had to pay part out of my pocket to get the roof started. I should have changed insurance companies then. But I have been with Farmers for 8 years and I did'nt change wish I had. They must not know word of mouth can ruin a business. My husband has 7 brother and sister that have their insurance with farmers and Thanksgiving was the day I got to show what they are doing so 6 out of 7 are changing before they stick it to them too................

January 02, 2011 01:58PM
Farmers cancelled my homeowner policy for no reason, I received a cancellation notice effective October 18, 2010.. I had one claim against them which was an act of God. in may of 2008, the State of Georgia had a Mother day storm which tore off all kind of roofs and we had lots of damage. I filed a claim for food because we had no electricity and all my food spoiled and i filed a claim for damage light in my yard and all of that was one claim and they hardly paid anything and 2 years later, i get a letter stating my policy was cancelled due to two weather related loss. What did that have to due with me, I am not God and i cannot create storms and it was only one weather related loss but they file they food and the outside lights as two separate claims. They really do sucks and i hope this company eventually go bankruptcy because they have stolen money from customers for two many years

i have been with foremost insurance for 4 yrs, after 2 yrs they made me fix the chimney on the roof, about 4 bricks were missing
then they increased my premiums, and now that my doctor has taken me off work, they say my credit history has declined, i am awaiting a hearing for disability, i am a senior citizen-with no discounts, i have made my payments and have had no claims, why are they doing this to me, the house will be paid for in 2014, i have made my payments, i need insurance, i dont want to default on my morgage agreement, please if there is anyone out there that can help me, i would greatly appreciate it, i am experiencing alot being a senior now, and its being done by younger minded folks, who think they wont get old one day and the same will happen to them, you get what you give, who's looking out for us?

March 26, 2011 07:48PM
I have been with farmers, both auto and home since the 1990s. In late 2010 I received a letter from them that they are no longer renewing my policy. No reason stated. I hope this company burns in hell with all of its decision makers.

May 03, 2011 01:03PM
Got a call today May 3, 2011 that the home owners policy I had was on hold. The reason was the paint is peeling on the garage and tree limbs are laying on the roof of the house. I am a disabled vet and have had a recent knee surgery. Was not able to paint. This spring has been too wet to paint. It is still raining today. There are no, I repeat, no tree limbs laying on the roof.

We recently got a policy from Farmers after Travelers will no longer carry mountain properties. Farmers 1 month later sent a cancellation notice and the balance of our payment, saying the lower deck needs to be installed and there is peeling paint on upper deck. We purchased this mountain property a year ago and have been restoring the place inside and outside. The neighbors are loving it and the place is really turning into an nice second home. We hope to retire in this place in a few years down the road. We just finished remodeling the kitchen, new carpet, new flooring and installing new tounge and groove in the rooms, we have been also been working around the outside installing new rain gutters, mending panel siding and painting. We just were not ready to build the new deck but knew it was probably a safety fall hazard. So we spent $2000 and two weekends and built a beautiful deck. Now the lower deck is done we can't wait to replace the upper deck to match.

I told the agent that the upper deck is going to be replaced in the near future to match the new lower deck. It would be real stupid to paint it and then remove it a couple months later to replace it. The agent said it doesn't matter, the underwriters want the peeling paint repaired even if it is a waste of time and money. The Farmers agent said we should slap some paint on to cover everything up, take pictures with lower resolution or farther away. He said he has other clients that just covered things with paint even if there could possibly be an underlying problem, leaks or other issues paint could hide. He said we needed to paint the upper deck railing and then they would reinstate the policy. So after replacing the lower deck, painting the front of the house, and repainting the upper deck railing I have done everything they have asked. He loved the new pictures and I have to admit, yes it is much nicer and looks great, but a waiste of time and money since it will all be removed a couple months later. He said it will take about 24 hrs for the underwriter to respond with an answer. It has now been about 6 days and they want more pictures of the upper deck paint. So I just now sent new picutres of the finished deck and painting to them.

Meanwhile I did get coverage from another insurance company. I sent them copies of the cancellation notice so they knew where we were and any problems that may exist up front, no hiding anything. I just can't wait for Farmers to say, okay lets do business again and send us your money to reinstate the policy, cause I will politely tell them "Go pound sand, you have been fired, you do not qualify as a satisfactory home owners insurance company".

Thank you Farmers for motivating us to finish the outside project and move on. If I ever were to have a claim I really don't feel good having you as my protection.

October 05, 2012 03:01PM
On August 9th 2012 we entered into a contract with Farmers insurance for a Homeowers insurance policy for our home. We worked with the agent who came to our home more than once to work out the details. Without performing any inspections, Farmers insurance entered into an agreement for Homeowners insurance. Believing that we had entered into this agreement, we cancelled our existing policy effective August 9th 2012. Several weeks after the fact, Farmers insurance apparently sent a representative to inspect the outside of our home and decided that they did not want the policy after all and sent us a notice of cancellation. I am curious as to how it is legal for a company to enter into an agreement with a homeowner (causing the homeowner to cancel an existing policy), then decide less than two months later to cancel the policy leaving the homeowner with no insurance and having to scramble in an attempt to find new insurance.

The cancellation letter references an issue with an unattached shed (which to my knowledge is not even covered under our policy as I could not find reference to a shed while searching through our policy) and with raised shingles on a roof.

Interestingly the roof is only approximately 8 years old and was inspected about a week before we recieved the cancellation letter and was found to have no issues other than a piece of plywood that had come loose from its nail that had to be nailed back down.

So basically now we're screwed as we only have 30 days to find new insurance or accept some ridiculously high premium insurance forced upon us by our Mortgage lender.

The beginning of August we applied for homeowners insurance through Farmers- 2 days later we went in for the appointment with our agent and he told us they would send out an inspector and if our house passes, we will receive our policy around 5 business days after the inspection. The inspector came out, sounded as if everything was okay then a few days later we received our policy in the mail- that was August 18th- haven't heard anything since and today I get a letter in the mail saying my policy is being cancelled due to having a few shingles sticking up which took a hammer, 2 nails and 5 minutes to fix. Anyhow, my question is on the paper it says refund amount "zero" but I paid my premium IN FULL for the entire year in August. They have to prorate those 2 months and reimburse me don't they? I don't see anyway they could get around paying us back. ANY advice would help Erin4683@aol.com

May 15, 2013 05:25PM
Just to add to the fray, I had never heard of this happening to anyone, but it happened to us and it's not Farmer's, it's Allstate! All payments on time, never a claim, they give nitpicky reasons, and I want to say, what does this have to do with fire protection....we are in the middle of construction that hubby is doing, and our agent says no one will insure us. We shall see.....and I guess I won't go to Farmer's.

July 09, 2013 07:42PM
I too had my homeowners cancelled. During escrow,
The loan officer recommended Farmers for a
Very low rate so of course I agreed. Farmers insured my
New home without seeing it. A few months later they cancel me.
I had no homeowners for six months and they never
notified me. I found out because I received a
check in the mail from Farmers. Turns out about
six months after escrow closed they decided to
check out the property and I guess it was not
to their liking. I called corporate and was pretty
much told to shove it. Stay away from Farmers.
I now have State Farm and am a happy camper.

We got a notice today from Farmer's saying our insurance will be cancelled in about a month from now. The reason they give is "Lifted shingles on roof - Roof repairs required". When we bought the house last month the disclosures don't mention any issue.
Wonder what we can do? I am going to talk to the insurance agent tomorrow.

August 10, 2013 03:28PM
I just got a cancellation letter in mail, stating I have a boarded up windo, missing siding and roof lifting. I have no broken windows . My house is not siding it is stucco and my roof is 6 years Los.. These people must have wrong address. Not even a courtesy call. I calling them and giving my whole thought on the matter..

October 01, 2013 09:07PM
Received cancellation notice today, reason given, my shed doesn't have siding on it.....I JUST STARTED BUILDING IT, ITS A WORK IN PROGRESS! It's also a shed...get bent Farmers!

October 07, 2013 09:37AM
Farmers is the absolute WORST!!! I make sure that I tell everyone NEVER TO USE their insurance company for anything! I just purchased a home in PA, and before the closing I did rate comparison for homeowner's insurance, of course Farmer's came the lowest, so sure enough I get a certificate of insurance, which I gave to my mortgage officer, and we went to closing with this certificate of insurance. The next day, I get a phone call from their agent telling me, that the insurance was not underwritten...ha??? It was not underwritten and certificate of insurance issued, that is the first I ever heard anything like that!!! So, the inspection was done by them and they will cancel the policy, because of too many trees, the roof and the crawl space being open. Well, the roof is new 2007, trees will never be chopped down and they are not close to the house and do not pose a threat, crawl space being open, I have closed it myself. However, I still don't understand, when all internal and external inspections were done for the mortgage, the owner was contacted to allow folks on the property, Farmer's did not call anyone, they just went on their own, and frankly speaking, I'm convinced that their employee opened the crawlspace entrance, just to drop me from insurance. It sounded too good $420.00 total premium, something was wrong from the beginning!

I e-mailed my bank and told them to stop all payments to Farmers, I have quickly found a different company that insured the property, and surprise, surprise, it did not take them 2 weeks to underwrite, which is bogus to say the least. I let their agent have it, because I retained all inspection reports that inspected the home prior to sale, and TERMINATED their coverage myself. Though it will upset my escrow a tiny bit, as the intial payment was made to them of $26.00, but it is better anyway.

From what I have learned, and as I spoke to various insurance competent people, the inspection can't be used to cancel insurance by the insurance company, it can however be used to curb your financial ambitions as you try to get $ from them to fix something that was insured, but was in a terrible shape already. They will stick those pictures to you, basically saying that it was in half-dead already, so you can't collect the full amount, unless there is an unforseen major total loss event, which affected the entire area, like a tsunami, which wiped out all houses in the area, then they will pay out completely.

NEVER USE FARMERS FOR YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS!!! THEY ARE DISHONEST AND DESERVE A LAWSUIT!!!

October 21, 2013 04:45PM
Just switched from Nationwide to Farmers in September 2013, one week ago received letter of cancellation.......reason for cancellation....lets see. Unsecured tree debris, unsecured personal property and yes roof showing deterioration, lifted shingles and missing tabs.

lets address this one issue at a time

1. Unsecured tree debris - we were trimming trees and branches - you know normal yard work and maintenance, and had everything bundled and piled up to go out for yard waste collection once a week.

2. Unsecured personal property - hmmm...this consisted of a patio table, lawn chairs, a bag of mulch, a lawn mower, shovel and rake all stored in an old childs playskool house that doubles as a small shed.

3. The roof, I have a gabled roof shingled with an asphalt composite 3 tab shingles - 8 tabs in total were missing on the front - and you couldn't see this from the street you had to be on the roof to see it. Most of the roof was replaced 9 yrs ago when an addition was added to the house. The shingles with missing tabs were replaced. My question is this ARE these people idiots???? They must be I have never had this much trouble with an insurance company.

Most insurance companies will tell you hey we found these things wrong just take care of them and we're good to go.No problem, but cancellation for these reasons??? Are you kidding me? For having lawn chairs in my back yard??? or a lawn Mower? REALLY??? How do they think I get my grass cut??? Did they think I was going to leave the tree branches laying around??? What I'm not supposed to do any yard work to maintain my property. Cancellation of a policy because 8 tabs on 3 tab shingles are missing??? I am looking for a new insurance company as I write this.

October 21, 2013 04:48PM
Just switched from Nationwide to Farmers in September 2013, one week ago received letter of cancellation.......reason for cancellation....let’s see. Unsecured tree debris, unsecured personal property and yes roof showing deterioration, lifted shingles and missing tabs. Lets address this one issue at a time
1. Unsecured tree debris - we were trimming trees and branches - you know normal yard work and maintenance, and had everything bundled and piled up to go out for yard waste collection once a week.
2. Unsecured personal property - hmmm...this consisted of a patio table, lawn chairs, a bag of mulch, a lawn mower, shovel and rake all stored in an old child’s playskool house that doubles as a small shed.
3. The roof, I have a gabled roof shingled with an asphalt composite 3 tab shingles - 8 tabs in total were missing on the front - and you couldn't see this from the street you had to be on the roof to see it. Most of the roof was replaced 9 yrs ago when an addition was added to the house. The shingles with missing tabs were replaced. My question is this ARE these people idiots???? They must be I have never had this much trouble with an insurance company.
Most insurance companies will tell you hey we found these things wrong just take care of them and we're good to go.No problem, but cancellation for these reasons??? Are you kidding me? For having lawn chairs in my back yard??? or a lawn Mower? REALLY??? How do they think I get my grass cut??? Did they think I was going to leave the tree branches laying around??? What I'm not supposed to do any yard work to maintain my property. Cancellation of a policy because 8 tabs on 3 tab shingles are missing??? I am looking for a new insurance company as I write this.

Max
November 02, 2013 03:00PM
My Home insurance is going to be cancelled because we have a boat and a vehicle in the back of our property. They advise we have to remove them. There is no hazard such as weeds back there and they are in the back of the property which is on 3/4 acre. Why would they do this when only the home is being covered?

November 15, 2013 11:50PM
Yes Farmers Sucks - they cancel policies based on roof deteioration but the roof has never leaked. I have seen deteriorated roofs that needed replacing and mine was not one of them. My neighbor's roof leaked and he had to get a repair - not a new roof just a repair. They won't even listen to you. Move on to a better company.

K. E.
November 20, 2013 11:32AM
Cripes....this really galls me! Applied for homeowners with farmers so that I could get a lower rate by bundling my auto and homeowners together. Wasn't thrilled about leaving my former insurance company who I had been with for 25 years! But I did it to get the bundled rate. Surprise, surprise.....70 days after the policy went into effect, I get a cancellation notice with no explanation why. We have totally renovated the inside of the house and are in the process of taking care of the outside....little bit of siding near the eaves to complete and that was explained to the photographer they sent. What the hell?
As soon as I resolve this, I am dumping them as my auto insurance policy holder as well! Scum bags!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
3jutL
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.