Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Water Damage

Posted by Tad 
Tad
Water Damage
June 14, 2009 08:51AM
Hello,

I have had a total of four claims filed via Farmer’s Insurance for water damage at my home and I’m currently in the middle of my fifth.

I live in a townhouse and have a neighbor that lives above me (similar to a condo but technically classified as a townhouse). My neighbor’s homeowner’s insurance is through Farmer’s.

Over the last two years I have dealt with damage caused by my neighbor as a result of a broken aquarium, an overflowed toilet, a broken water heater, and a broken kitchen pipe.

Each incident has been extremely painful in dealing with Farmer’s Insurance and specifically with Special Claims Representative Nick DePalma. From the beginning I have felt that Nick has been unprofessional and rude to deal with. Each incident has brought on a settlement valued at much less than any estimate I have been able to find.

The last incident that has been settled (third) was the result of a broken water heater. The damage was so bad that a portion of my hardwood floor had to be removed. Farmer’s Insurance refused to pay for the replacement of my floor as they felt I should be able to match it. I was unable to find anyone that was able to replace half of my floor and make it match what was currently there. After months of emailing, writing letters, and filing complaints Farmer’s finally agreed.

My most current issue and the reason for this post is related to damage in my kitchen. I found water pouring out of my ceiling one evening in late April and immediately informed my neighbor. My neighbor did a quick check and stated everything was fine for him. It wasn’t until the next day that he stated that he did have standing water upstairs and had called for repairs. Again, I filed a claim with Farmer’s Insurance and was put in touch with Nick DePalma.

An adjuster came out and sent an estimate. Again, several hundred dollars less than the two estimates I had obtained. I went back and forth on this and mold concerns and had finally gotten to a point where I was just going to settle and take it so I could move on with my life.

I noticed towards the end of May (about 4 weeks after I noticed the kitchen damage) that I also had damage in my hallway. The spot is about the size of my smoke detector and right next to it. I contacted Farmer’s and was given a new adjustor. As I had hoped since he was someone new that did not have a personal biased against me he was helpful and even stated that since there has been such a history here he can pretty much guarantee that this will be taken care of immediately. He mentioned a policy about a $500 allotment due to the past issues that could most likely be immediately approved. He stated he would follow up the next day.

I did not hear back the next day and then followed up. I was informed that Nick DePalma would be taking over my case as he has better knowledge of past incidents. How would that matter? There’s water stains in my ceiling that need repair, what could his past history possible help with in this case? Nick DePalma stated that a new claim would need to be opened as this incident was not related to the incident in my kitchen. Service Master had stated it most likely was at this point and Farmer’s had made no professional inspection before Nick made this claim. Nick went on to say that he would personally come out and inspect my neighbor’s home. In a previous email to me Nick DePalma had stated that he was “not a professional inspector” yet he was coming out in this incident?

Nick DePalma finally contacted me to state that they could find no evidence that this was the result of my neighbor. He suggested I have my homeowner’s association inspect the pipes between our buildings. I did this and received a professional, unbiased inspection. Within minutes the plumber stated “this is obviously related to the incident in your kitchen or he spilled something up there.” I received a document from the plumber stating that a pipe leak between our buildings is not the cause of this damage.

Farmer’s and specifically Nick DePalma and his supervisor continue to state that there is no evidence. Despite the past events, despite professional opinions of a separate plumber and Service Master, and despite common sense that if there are water spots on my ceiling there is only one place they could come from and we have ruled out the one option that should not be covered by my neighbor’s insurance company (a leaking shared pipe).

I have now forwarded my complaint to Nick DePalma’s manager George Liegakos. I sent my concerns on Monday 6/8/09. I have been following up since and did not receive a response until yesterday, Saturday 6/13/09. What changed? On my last follow up Friday 6/12/09, I CC’d the executives given on this web site Bryan Murphy and Paul Hopkins. It’s interesting that I finally received a response back after including these guys. George stated that he was on vacation all of last week. Again, it’s interesting that I did not receive an out of office reply.

Hopefully George Liegakos will be able to assist me in a professional and polite way. Either way I am working my official complaint to be filed and have utilized this site to obtain the necessary forms.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Re: Water Damage
December 14, 2011 01:50PM
I agree with you totally.I have been insured with farmers for 25 years and never had a claim.recently i had a leak in my roof which damaged my great room ceiling and walls.the adjuster came out and told me they are not liable because a tree did not fall on my roof.my roof was only 8 years old and since K&D Roofing (another shit company) has gone out of business.imagine that.we appealled the denial claim with no results.other people i talked to have had their interiors of there homes fixed due to this type of damage without a problem.farmers doesn't have a problem raising their renewal policies,just making good on your your claims.I HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT CONTACTING A LAWYER AND SUING THEM BASTARDS.STAY AWAY FROM FARMERS FOR YOUR INSURANCE NEEDS.THEY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
DDepb
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.