Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Contract Breeched & Terminated - Hosed by Farmers

Posted by texasagent 
I worked for Farmers insurance for over 6 years in a small southern indiana town. They raised our homeowners rates so much that I hadn't been able to do a home policy in over a year. The state director told us just to write life and auto, not to worry about home. They admitted they had screwed up and it would be two to three years before they could get the rates back down, but not to worry about that. just concentrate on life and auto. I was losing business right and left. On april 7, 2010 our dm and the witch from state office came in and terminated my contract. Said they had a signed letter from a customer that I had placed their business outside of Farmers. I asked for a copy of the letter and to this date, no one has ever provided that to me. There are agents all over the state and our dm is well aware of them placing business outside of farmers and has done nothing. They are all men. The week I was terminated, he only terminated the women. What does that tell you. One of the agents he has know about for four years and has done nothing to him. just lets him keep on writing outside business.
Farmers does not care about the customers or the agents. They have claims people running the whole show and all they care about is money. The 21st century company they bought them so they can have more pif. that is the only way that farmers can keep policies on the books is by buying more companies. Bristol West, Foremost, 21st century.

Do not ever become a farmers agent. They lie to you about the numbers. in five years they say you will be making $100,000. There is not one agent i know of that has ever made that kind of money working with farmers. they allow you to spend every bit of your savings and then give you subsidy, just to make you pay it all back because you will not ever make the numbers. If someone from farmers approaches you, run, run away very very quickly. It will be the biggest mistake of your life.
take it from some one who knows. Go independent. You will be much happier.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

I agree, you're better off. Farmers has so much turnover agents cannot get answers to service issues or problems, when you do 9 times out of 10 the answers are inconsistent and/or incorrect. We have a client on standard bill that wants to change to monthly, we can't make that simple change without rewriting the entire policy - now does that make sense? Farmers is absolutely un-customer friendly and un-agent friendly. Rewrite an entire account just to make a payment mode change, my Lord this is insane. We were also told that if the client did not pay they would still have coverage until the date the company goes in to the system and cancels the policy - I know that is not right yet the underwriter says well, I can't tell you how claims might look at it - I said then what do you do? As an underwriter if she can't speak to coverage???? I got her entire name and told her if the insured had a claim and it was not covered she could expect to be included in any lawsuit along with me and my E&O carrier, she didn't want to give me her last name, imagine that?

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Thank you all for posting these warnings. I'm on the job market, and saw a terrific ad from Farmers, but thought I should do a little research first. Thank God I found this site--I'll keep my distance now. Best of luck to those of you seeking restitution.

I worked for thosepeople for almost 2 years then they let me go and send me a bill for 33,000 to pay them back lol

It's not only the agents that suffer with FIG but all of the employees. I happen to work at Helpoint and was SO very excited to get on with Farmers. Now, I dread going to work everyday. I have never been so micromanaged in my LIFE. I came from a managerial career and I don't like having to log out to go to the friggin bathroom. I don't like having to put up with being cussed at and I HATE being treated like I'm five. I am just holding out until I find something better. Do yourselves a favor..stay away from Farmers in ANY capacity. Not a good company for employees.

5-22-08 tornado struck windsor,co. 250 homes,business completely demolished.we were a block away from"red zone.strenth was F-3.CAT adjuster was 1-6 reps.As I took photos,made list of damages as instructed by helpoint,We as of this date,8-2010 are still fightn Farmers.I requested all photos,docs from original CAT adjuster after all work was complete.I was numb. A 7yr old could have taken better photos.Cosmetic repairs do not fix problems that are arising now.We beleive "Wind Pressure" to blame,after reviewing my own 430 photos.I turned them into the state for possible misshandling of our claim. Guess what, the person in charge of this used to be a farmers adjuster.They have lost photos,or no photos taken,a customer reps paperwork is no where on the claims activity.They asked me for estimates on our deck which below is our bedroom.Est. was 17k,EPDM rubber roofing damaged,water intrusion,and of course, their engineer blamed tree roots,improper drainage,ect Of course,engineer came 1year later.Then adjuster instructed by his supervisor to go by the "verbal".They gave me $2,200 for sanding and staining.Oh Boy!! well sanding and staining are the last stages of any deck work.Sanding and staining is not in my opinion,"REPAIRS". Watch out for building permits!! Lets just say,30k and counting damage due to all reputable contractors and not one warranty.House is worse now than before.We tried to get help,our adjuster since 10-08 has 3rd supervisor whos been on vacation 3 times since May 2010.I've been to 8 different agents within 30 mile ratious.The higher up you go the worse it gets. then they close the claim,re-open claim,close, making it look like you have several claims,when all your doing is what they tell you to Protect your property from further damage, you do then they give you ACT vs. RC, which my coverage is suppose to pay 125%.Right.. Remember, Family Comes First, Always! I have learned the hard way.It sucks.Thanks Farmers!!! thanks M

Just came from a recruiting interview, googled this blog, and will now throw the marketing materials into the trash can in front of me. Thanks for the assist!

Re: Contract Breeched & Terminated - Hosed by Farmers
September 10, 2010 04:10PM
Does anyone know of any current or recently settled lawsuits against former farmers agents by farmers? If so,please let me know.

Thanks,

Can sympathize with all postings. Was top prodicing agent with Farmers for my district 5 years, profitability bonus every year, over 1700 policies in force wrote most life policies by far. DM changed, old was not so good, new one worse, complete IDIOT. after a while, we all discovered what an idiot she was. she liked being pandered to, she was insecure and a moron, so she naturally is a BULLY and used these tactic to intimidate, finally called a spade a spade as i will not sell out and kiss a$$ to someone with the IQ of a gnat. IF you didnt suck up, you would not get any new policies or assignments and would even make up reasons to withhold bonus. she HATED me for calling her out,( she even had a fake DIploma from a diploma mill internet school which was posted proudly in office) Of course, i made sure everyone knew it was'nt worth the paper it was printed on. Used every tactic in the get rid of me, but i kept my nose clean. I did my contracted time to avoid owing them anything, i was not going to end up owing these LOSERS for writing outstanding business. Finally, I finished my contract, amd know an Agent for the "good nieghbor"company and can say with all honesty, it is a complete night and day comparison, 180degree different. here i get the training needed, staff that knows how to train and follow up with you, management is well versed and do what they can. on my fourth year with this company and i only wish i would have started here and not wasted five years to Farmers, i had almost lost faith and thought all companies were like Farmers. I am here to say they are NOT. Very happy with new company, making lots of money, competetive pricing awesome support and well respected company.

Everything that was posted about Farmers is true, billing, training, management, claims and pricing all sucked. I am convinced they are a pyramid scheme and prey on those who dont know any better. RUN from Farmers, there are better, more RESPECTED companies out there, there is a reason there are so many new agents at Farmers, they are a joke!!

well im glad i did the research and found this website. i have a second interview with them next week. looks like they're going to be disappointed when i become a no-show. thank you everybody!

My husband is a farmers reserve agent with a big dream to become rich 250K a year I told him it all fake UNREAl and sound scam but he don't believe me I want to stop him I showed him all of you guys post he still don't believe.
Please anybody out there help my husband open his eyes before he put our financial and everything we building it for our 3 kids in danger.

April 13, 2011 09:15PM
It has come to my attention that Farmers has overcharged me, charged me for policies cancelling that I never received a payment on and lied to me about the commissions I was supposed to be paid on "orphan" policies.

Please contact me if you retained copies of your folio

farmersliedtomeincolorado@yahoo.com

This post is so true. I have worked as an agent for 14 years and became a Farmers Agent but everything above happened to me as well. My contract was terminated as well for "under production" even though the policy count was entered to have 6 over the production count required.

Several Clients have left because of their billing system as well.

DO NOT WORK FOR FARMERS AT ALL ! ! ! ! They have made the past 2 years of my life miserable.

Yes I am with you, I pulled out in a very short time after becoming a career agent but still owe money they said I wouldn't owe. If I can help in any way just let me know

I just interviewed today...alot of what you state is exactly what I was told in the interview. I make good money now but was attracted to the "potential" of $250,000+ per year. Yet something just didn't seem right. So I left the interview and went to the Web...and here sits this information confirming my suspicions. I am both thankful for all of your posts telling the truth but now I am also just pissed the XXXX off!! I now realize that this is a cleverly crafted multi-level marketing scheme covered by the blanket of finacial security...as I interviewed the DM KNEW that I would not be successful and everything he was stating was false. What shame...we are still in a recession and jobs are scarce...Farmers would allow me to walk away from 15 years stable employment knowing I would eventually lose everything and end up either in foreclosure, homeless and unable to find suitable employment all for 30-40 policies...then dump me!!?? Very clever pyramid...I hope I never see that !@#$!@@! lying district manager again...shame on you Farmers...be glad it was me...not everyone will respond to you via email...you are intentionally ruining people's lives for 40 new policies...shame on you.

I 100% agree with EVERYTHING you say. I have been in the insurance industry since 1996 and in 2007 I actually went to work as a CSR for a Farmers Agency (I let my P&C license lapse, decided I should continue in the industry, hence went to work for Farmers while studying to get my license back). I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Let me begin with saying I now own and operate my own agency in California - NOT A FARMERS AGENCY. I worked for a Farmers Agent, really nice guy (but didn't know his a$$ from a hole in the ground regarding insurance) but nice, nonetheless. It was a bit awkward being a CSR and was working for an "Agent" when I had many years experience on him. He would come to me with very basic questions about coverage, etc. At that time, I realized that Farmer's must really lack in the training department - this poor guy didn't know much about much. I spent most of my days (as you say) cleaning up BILLING ISSUES. I remember very clearly this one woman whom I worked regarding her EFT billing, Farmers WENT NUTS IN HER BANK ACCOUNT, they LOVE to have full access to YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, I found in a very short time working there. I spent countless hours (at least 20, no joke), called customer service daily and got a complete different story EVERYTIME I called. I found out very quickly that Farmers DOES NOT CARE ABOUT THEIR CLIENTS OR RETAINING THEIR CLIENTS, AS LONG AS THEY HAD YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION, THAT WAS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THEM. I literally argued with each and every person in Customer Service and actually felt as though they "were on an opposite team" and were working against the poor agent!!! Their billing system is so utterly confusing, they just want to get into your account, rob you blind (they claim this is what happens when your client doesn't sign one of the 10 useless forms like the GOOD DRIVER form to get the GOOD DRIVER DISCOUNT, WTH)? Then you have to explain to the customer that "you didn't sign the Good Driver Discount Form" so we withdrew another $500 from your account, sorry its too late we can't accept the form now, or give you your money back - THEY EXPECTED ME TO TELL THE CLIENT THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They set their agents and their own clients up for complete failure, rob them blind and cross their fingers that neither one is "too very smart" and hope to keep everyone involved as confused as possible. Their mission is definately not client "retention" but to collect as many bank account numbers as possible.

In my opinion, they sabatoge their agents (whom have to be weak minded and gullible, sorry but this is my honest opinion) its like they do everything in their power to force clients to go elsewhere, screw every policy and bill up and take no accountability for anything - its like the wizard of oz, they just hide behind the curtain and make the agents clean up messes to see if they can hang onto their customers. Its like a sick twisted game.... Farmers is one of the most unethical companies I've ever worked for. If you can stand around and watch actual robberies take place, than I guess Farmers might be the right choice for you.

Thank you, thank you and a million thank you's. I almost and naively took a job as an agent with them. Your post has awakend me confused smiley

Does anyone have a copy of Farmers Policies or guidelines for their agents. Dealing with issues such as how often agents should contact the insured, visit the insureds homes, review the policy limits, ask if the circumstances of the insured have changed. Essentially any rules, guidelines or regulations that tend to guide the relationship the agent should have with the insured.

Thank you, if you have any such materials please email me at dblandie@gmail.com.

I am being recruited heavily by Farmer's to be a captive agent. I see that the last post made was in 2010. It is now 2012...have any of these issues been rectified? I'm very nervous to make this jump, and want to make sure that I'm making the right decision for my family. Please advise.

Thank you!

January 23, 2012 03:04PM
DON'T DO IT, YOU'LL REGRET IT LATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE DON"T DO IT.......I WOULDN'T LET MY WORST ENEMY BECOME A FARMERS AGENT.......

Hi!
When I migrated to the US and put up my resume online I got calls from several Insurance Companies, one of them being Farmers.
They were starting a new Agency Point office in Indiana and after interviews I was chosen as one of the agents and we were promised training and leads. During the interview, I had voiced my concern several times about me being new to the country and the region and having no contacts, how would I succeed.
I was told repeatedly that I would get enough support from them by way of leads that I will not have to worry about that. They even assured the target set by them would so easily be attained.
The training was not what I expected. It was just what was on the slides. The trainers had no experience and the Sales Managers were no good as they are apparently failed running their own agencies. I remember one of the Sales Managers telling us to find the tallest building in the city and ride the elevator and give an elevator speech to every one who gets in. She said, stay there the whole day and you will get enough contacts to write insurance.
I had been in International Sales for 30 years before I joined them, so I was not a stranger to Selling, but that was certainly not this way. An agent is not a street vendor!
There was in place a scheme where they paid us every month and this was supposed to be offset with the premiums from the Policies we sold. But then we were made to pay for our Business cards, E&OE, advertisements and several other things that we were actually in the red all the time. I decided to quit as there was absolutely no future as farmers were not in the least competitive and there was no support from the Managers which we were promised in the beginning.
Now, I am getting threatening letters from farmers to pay the amount due to them. Is there any way of fighting these big Companies or is it a fault in the system as we are forced to pay so that we don't ruin our fledgling credit score. This reflects very badly on a country which allows big Corporations to prey on ordinary people.
You can contact me or advise me at sashi58@att.net

What happens if you've already signed the contract, can you get out of it without being sued by them????
What if you just stop producing, will they fire you?????
I signed the contract, now I'm finding out how bad they are and want out, but not sure what to do, can anyone advise?????
LS

Same is happening in MN, we use to be really few agents, but now we're everywhere, sometimes even 2 agencies in the same building!
This guys don't care as long as you sale, we make tons of mistakes cause we don't have any training, the agents have started a war against each other trying to make the goals, some of the "agencies" are even inside markets were people sits to have food, and some are even sold by people who doesn't even have a license!!!This is how professional we look now, I have been in this company for the last 4 years, it use to be nice but not anymore I'm really waiting to get fired to start an independent this is not even funny.

I am looking to engage an attorney in Arizona (preferrably in Maricopa County)...does anyone out there know of one that has experience in suing Farmers for Agency Terminaiton? I would be grateful for information on one or more to interview. I am in my 60's and have been an Agent for Farmers for over 37 years and just received a "no cause" 90 day termination from Farmers.

Oh well, thanks for your post and I seen myself in a mirror. I well prepared, I did work in a radio station, so I know many people and many people know me. Everybody want to be insured by Mr Max because is a radio personality, but this is the true about Farmers. It is way to expensive in most cases. After multilines discounts we can be competitive, but still people are looking for something lower in price. LIFE? impossible to sell, no one want to pay those higher cost of farmers. Every auto quote generate a fast rate quoting for life insurance, as example: 45 years Female = $55.00 monthly premium for 30 years with a face value of $250,000.00 You read it right, Two hundred and fifty thousand Dollars, quarter of a million. Sound Good? Well, when the clientask for this deal, reallity is, Maximum face value of a life term 30 years policy is $150,000. Yes, Farmers lie, so agents look bad. Then when the client ask for that minimum life term 30 years, we have minimum limit of $75,000 face value at $90.00 monthly premium. Bull shit! how we can sell something that is false adverticed, too expensive and with many restrictions? They say, well, why you don't try and sell the rate they want? then I say, they want to pay 30 Dollars premium per month, then Farmers say, Okay then youcan give them $5,000 face value for that premium. Bull shit again! is that a joke?
Yes I apreciate your post, is so informative, but is too late for me. I have spent more money in Gasoline, classes and fixing Farmers Errors than earnings. You forget to mention when you receive a transfer of a costumer to your agency, DM charges you 10% in penaltie. Where that money goes? I don't know. We the Farmers Agents are not Bad, Farmers make as look bad because of their mistakes. I have to spent hours and hours with underwiting and service point just to fix stupid issues as my policie in the name of other agent without permition, just because DM assistant by "mistake" did enter her friend(another agent) number when trying to close my ACA batch. Yes I have spent more time in DM meetings than selling because she want me to be if possible everyday at her office. She say, her meetings are part of her program and I have to be there with no options. Oh, and still she want high numbers and Life policies, a lot of them because that is her program. Why? well, so I can get the Blue Vase award. What the heck I want a blue vase for? I juts need less stress and .....leave me alone.... get off me.... let me breath, so I can sell.

reading this put a shiver down my spine, literally! i work for a woman who owns a Farmers agency and i am still not fully convinced that she did not write this under a false identity! EVERYTHING mentioned in there is true. i knew nothing about insurance when i took the job over six months ago but in that short time i have learned more than i care to know. add forging documents to your list and you have our story WORD FOR WORD. our district office has just been shut down in fact because DM lost his job for not making his numbers. im glad in a way to see that not everyone is as blind and gullible...

December 29, 2012 07:09PM
I also was successful and selfemployed before I made my huge mistake and spent the next 25 yrs repeating it, 65 and starting over, Bill

My God, I'm supposed to start my Reserve Agent program training next week. After reading all of the posts on this forum I don't think I can go through with this. Yes, I got the 3 ring training binder and they set me up to do the licensing on a website. I'm glad I had a chance to view the posts before I invested more time and money. It just seems like an awful company to work for.

Just requested to ended my reserve agent contract not too long ago. My complaints are as follows:

1. Uncompetitive rates esp. on auto and life - even if you are a magician at sales, there is still only so much you can do when you are told to sell overpriced/uncompetitive products.

2. Their dashboard system - it seriously sucks (but the catch is I abhor IE) and as many of you have mentioned, the billing system is very confusing to read. Not to mention when you try to run a quote... well let's just say that the quote rating system needs work.

3. Antiquated business model - they are really big on cold calling. Seriously?

4. Strict underwriting guidelines - WTF?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
NceFJ
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.