Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Should I become a Farmer's Agency Owner?

Posted by Erskine 
I had an interview with Farmers Insurance, District 64 with the Agency President Donald Swanson for an insurance agent job in December 2003. I passed the interview and was coming back in January 2004 for a second interview. I was retiring from the military and thought this would be a great second career.

I had a misdemeanor conviction in 2002 for petty theft, went on probation and had it expunged in 2003 after 1 one of clean record.

The second interview was terrible. The interviewer. Donald Swanson only brought up what I did wrong and never what I would bring to the company, 20 years in the Navy. He was horrible and I would caution any one not to interview with him and his district 64.

Other insurance companies say the same thing.

BLUEDOG

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

I had an interview with an insurance agent/district manager in Dec. 2003 named Donald Swanson, District 64 in San Diego, Ca for a job as an insurance agent. I passed the interview and scheduled a second one in Jan. 2004.

I had a misdemeanor conviction in 2002, and had it expunged in 2003.

The second interview with Donald Swanson did not go well. He only spoke about mu conviction and hammered me. He only spoke negative things and never mention once about the job, Farmers Insurance and what I could offer to the company. I was about to retire from the Navy in Feb. 2004, and wanted to start a second career.

Other insurance agents from other companies don't like him and would not hire him. Run away from this man and his district.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Wow wow wow... this company has no shame and used the same scam. I actually joined this company back in the ‘80s and all the stories here were exactly what these scammers did. My DM was a nice guy and stood for his agents against the bullying of the company. But then they got rid of him. Since I never trusted them, I always had a job although I made it to a career agent. The subsidy back then was $24,000 per year for the first two years and yes they acted as they did the agents a favor. When they fired my DM, a new guy was hired and he was exactly what they needed: a complete a-hole. His name was Leonard Stone. Soon he fired for not selling life insurance, though I was always the top producers of auto and home, averaged about 180-200 counts per month. During the career agents year, I won the Blue Vase, Blue Max, Commercial and the Triple Crown. That was due to the DM who hired me was a good guy and showed me the business. Even him warned me about some of the scams that Farmers had.

That was my story.

I have been an Allstate Rep. currently a farmers agent . I was given my 90 day notice. I am 1 of 30 original agents farmers wanted in Nj.
After 9 yrs of terrible product management, piss poor underwriting by non skilled underwriters. Rate increase the never end, my customer base went from 1000
To 330. I have had much better success writing in my other Surplus lines
Than I have had In Farmers. I wanted to retire in 6 yrs. but that ain’t happening
I’ve been around the block writing insurance, these people only exist to take your money if you let them. Out of 30 original agents. About 4 are left.
My suggestion is. Do not pay a thing to farmers for any access you are much better off as an Allstate Rep or A smart choice rep. Work in the industry before you head out on your on:
I was that agent farmers would ask to help train new agents That had no business being in the business. Not to mention farmers will weasel there way out of paying any type TPP money upon your release.
Stay away from Farmers. There is a much better way to make a good living!

Re: Should I become a Farmer's Agency Owner?
March 04, 2020 10:18PM
I could not agree more. They have very very poor support staff, outdated systems, antiquated computer systems that you must buy from them, and they act like a pyramid scheme. They get you and all your family and friends to join farmers and abandon you. They take your book of business then charge you for the income that they gave you while they were not training you like they stated that they would. Absolute nightmare of a company.

Thank you for the most honest yet informative review! I will stay away!

Habib
September 10, 2020 12:30AM
I’ve offered to apply for Farmers insurance agent and while I was filling out the application, I had these weird feelings and decided to search before finishing the application. I see so many negative reviews here and I saw some in other sites too. To be honest, I’m not really interested in these kind of jobs but after my research, I decided I’m not going to apply for it. I don’t know how true everything is but pretty much everyone has similar complaints. I had a bad experience with CREngland company before and that made me to be cautious about such things. I just hope people don’t get tricked by scam companies because it’s so unfair for people like us who are in need for a job to support ourselves and our families. Please be careful on the steps you take in your life and may Allah protect all of human beings from bad people.

September 21, 2020 07:40PM
First of all any suggestion of violence or destruction is unusually stupid and immature. The farmers insurance program is just shy of a pyramid scam. I would run to damn fast they would not even know you were alive.

Do not do it. I’m a 3 year agent and I’m going to close down due to: underwriting in commercial it horrible, rates are terrible. Auto premiums are DOUBLE then all other carriers, hone rates creeping up. The systems they use are terrible. You have to go through hoops. I regret becoming a farmers agent.

40 years with Farmers and looking to retire, used to be we would get rate increases on a regular basis, now it is commission reductions (another coming in 2021). I would not hasten to tell anyone do NOT become agent for this company, they lie and will violate any contract you have with them, I have seen this happen so many times I wonder why I stayed so long, guess it was the outside business I could write!

I am currently a reserve agent with "Farmers" and I am not happy. The commission schedule is impossible to interpret accurately and they claim you are an independent contractor but they are attempting to control every aspect of your business, which is illegal under IRS rules. However money talks and these insurance companies do not have to follow the laws as written. They live within the loopholes so they can make money at your expense.

Replying to this very old post in hopes you'll see this. I know who you are talking about! Happened to me. Was the DM's initials DR, his wife's CM? She opened a GEICO agency 2 blocks away right after my agency sale closed.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
LpVFL
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.