Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Becoming an agent for Farmers

Posted by Erskine 
Re: Becoming an agent for Farmers
March 26, 2011 11:41AM
What is the situation with other jobs that are posted on Farmers website & job search sites (Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.), besides this Agent Training Program? I've seen claims reps, appraisers, positions like that. For the company to function, these positions obviously have to exist, but it seems like the only front door is through the Agent Program.

Does anyone know if Farmers hires from outside the company for claims reps and other positions?

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Re: Becoming an agent for Farmers -SHORTED ON COMMISSIONS
April 13, 2011 01:18PM
I am currently and agent with Farmers (not for long, though). I have recently discovered that my folio has been charged for policies that I never received commission for, the 50% of the standard commission I was promised for "Orphan" policies was actualy paid at 40% or less, and I also have lost more money than I have made, even though I am one of the top performing agents in my district and region.

I am looking for other agents who are finding similar problems with their commissions -- Please please please -- email me at

farmersliedtomeincolorado@yahoo.com

-- Anywhere in the United States

It does not matter whether you are a current farmers agent, or a former farmers agent, but you do need to have all of your folio statements.

The sooner the better!!

For those of you considering becoming a Farmers INsurance Group agent -- DON'T -- From my discoveries, Farmers brings in agents for 2 years, assigns a certain number of policies and pays you less than half of the commission, then terminates your contract before they have to pay full commission on those policies so that they can keep the moeny for themselves.

My District Manager admitted that Farmers INTENTIONALLY withheld paying over $40,000 in commissions to agents in his district, last year alone. FArmers has over 800 disctricts -- YOU DO THE MATH!!! He said the average they cheat from agents on a yearly basis is $15,000 per district -- thats $24,000,000 a year!!!

We need to get what we are owed.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

April 13, 2011 01:19PM
NO BENEIFTS -- They lie about what they are supposed to pay you and they cheat you out of as much of it as they can.

Become an independent agent -- you'll have WAY more fun!!

April 13, 2011 01:21PM
A great way to get started is to use an MGA (managing general Agent)

THey usually have the markets and resources you need until you build up a big enough book to get direct appointments. In general your P&C commissions will be 10%, but you won't have any performace requirements.

I use:

Rams Gate
Allen Financial
Appalachian Underwriters

I can access pretty much anything I need with these three.

April 13, 2011 01:22PM
PLease contact me at

farmersliedtomeincolorado@yahoo.com

I too was called in for an interview for the "best small business opportunity in America". I had my interview scheduled for today, and did not know what to expect. After finding this site and reading a few posts, I now know that I certainly am not going to waste my time. Thank you so much everyone!!

Now a career agent with Farmers and man I wish I had found this site so much earlier as I am on the hook for 5K in subsidy right now! I have had solid months of 4k in commissions but also months where charge backs due to their piss poor systems and billing issues that have taken me to only 2k WITH SUBSIDY!!
All that said, I am trying to figure out how to get out of my relationship and continue forward in my insurance career.....anyone have any information how to proceed?

August 02, 2011 12:57PM
Hi all,
I was wondering how much they charge you (agents) for the site directory (so called websites).
I heard different stories of different prices nation wide.

August 25, 2011 10:52AM
can you email me i have question on how to become and MGA, THanks

August 31, 2011 03:43PM
I was thinking to become a Farmers Agent since I lost my job 2 years ago,but reading this blog,wooooooooooooow.I am so happy I've read this.
Can some ex. agent tell me about insurance business.I don't know any thing,what are the pros and cons.If you write 10 policy a month would it be a money making business or not.How do you get paid by selling policies.Where to start.

Thanks a bunch

November 03, 2011 08:22PM
Thanks for your posts! I nearly made a big career mistake, I said I would never make again. I thought the recruiting seemed way too easy.

November 13, 2011 11:55PM
Thinking of becoming a Farmers agent?

Take the easy way out. Slit your wrists and drink a can of Drano.

December 01, 2011 07:48PM
Does anyone have any information about the MN Farmers Insurance, specifically around the metro area (Bloomington)? I saw someone write about MN, but that was in 2006. Is it all the same?

They charged you for NSF fees of customers? Well that is not surprising, Since they charged me over $3000 for NSF fees caused by an error in their system that submitted a Bristol West policy that should have never issued. That policy was eventually Flat cancelled but the over $3000 worth of NSF charged that were charged because of the sweep of funds from the FIGFCU trust account that should have never happened were deducted from my folio. All in all by the time it was done Farmers stole several thousand dollars from me!!

Peter
December 21, 2011 10:38PM
WOW! Thank you all for your stories. I just came back from my interview. The interview raised a few flags with me when they showed me the steps on becoming a "career agent". Seemed like a "Pyramid type scheme" to me, so I did some research and found this site. You all saved me from a bad decision. THANK VERY MUCH.

My girlfriend was recruited for training with Farmers Insurance in Mason Ohio. In my opinion Farmers Insurance did not fulfill their contractual obligations or the minimal expectations (promised and/or implied). SUMMARY: Farmers does the BAIT & SWITCH on recruits

Farmers Insurance (in my opinion) basically changed the deal (Bait & Switch) less than halfway through the expected 6 month training and required trainees to sell policies they had not yet been thoroughly trained to understand. The process was clumsy, unprofessional and chock full of errors and broken promises. I encouraged her to quit before she got in deeper into the "training" program. I am convinced that the process of recruiting agents training (as if) they will be onto building their own office is little more than a SCAM operated by Farmers Insurance across the nation. Basically, they are wasting the students time, and worse have intentions (I believe) of collecting for double crossing the students themselves. I'd like to see how many make it out to open their own offices, and how many are forced out, as my girlfriend was by extremely poor and unethical leadership.

I'd like to see Farmers shut down in Ohio, and accross the nation until and or unless they agree to be monitored by a neutral evaluator with the intention of cleaning up their dirty deals with their recruits. Farmers was in receipt of a formal list of claims by us that they had BREACHED THE CONTRACT by not fulfilling their obligations however they simply sent their claims for nearly $10,000 to an associated collection service before even attempting to resolve the dispute.

This is my reaction to Farmers Insurance not operating with ethics.... let it be known that they are (in my opinion) not to be trusted in any business transaction. Not in insurance and certainly not in legal matters or education.

Pull their license Ohio, and hopefully other states will follow. They can REFORM, and save the jobs they have already entrapped... but that will require oversight, and they probably will not agree to that without legal authority. I say they are not fit to sell insurance. They certainly are not fit to educate, in my opinion.

These are MY opinions, not my girlfriends. I support a class action suit against Farmers Insurance and encourage all who feel they were ripped off by Farmers Insurance agent recruiting to support the idea organize and find proven, competent legal representation.

jc
January 19, 2012 02:25PM
Great post!! Thanks for the insight...

What are the steps to become independent??

Regards,

JC

January 30, 2012 05:58PM
Well I was sold a bunch of BS. First of all they told me that as soon as I careered, I'd receive a salary of 2500 a month plus commissions. Then when it came time to career, I was told it was subsidy/loan and if I did not meet certain numbers I'd have to pay the company back. Then the DM assured me that all I had to do was keep doing what I was doing and even if the numbers were a little off, it most likely wouldn't be a problem.

First of all, you have to pay for EVERYTHING YOURSELF. Leads, a CSR, and an office. FARMERS PAYS FOR NOTHING. I was constantly pushed to sell LIFE INSURANCE even to people who didn't qualify. They tell you this BS about you need to do around 40 P&C Policies and at least 4 Life Policies every Quarter. All the DM wants is your LIFE PRODUCTION. He does not really give a flying poop about your P&C sales because he really doesn't make anything off of anyones P&C, but he makes a boat load off of YOUR LIFE SALES.

Then there is the whole subsidy part, in which they make you sign once you have careered. If you do not hit your numbers and go off subsidy you have already signed an agreement that you'll pay the company back. That is hardly ever explained to any agent I know of, but it is a way for Farmers to cover their ass, take your 40-100 policies and say I told yo so. This company basicly broke me and now I have to find a way to pay back this subsidy so they won't ruin my credit.

My best advice, find another company or get a really high limit credit card, because you are going to need 20-30,000 to get up and going as a new agent. Also never TRUST ANY DM. These guys are the head of this Pyramid/ Multi-Level Marketing Schemes. While I was a Reserve Agent working out of our District Office, I'd notice so many random individuals coming in to interview, and most looked very unprofessional. Soon after that I careered and I watched as each classe of Reserves would roll through and a week or two later they were back to nothing. I really began to notice a common theme from that. Then I realized I was a sucker for not leaving while I was in the Reserve stage.

They promise you all the training and leads programs that the industry has to offer, in reality you have to pay/supply your own leads. The training is mostly garbage and a waist of time. Only 4 out of 100 career agents actually complete the 5 year program. That is horrible. That should also tell you why your DM is constantly interviewing anyone who is breathing.

So Long Farmers, you guys screwed me out of 1,000s and now I am in debt. Thanks for NOTHING.

NSF BS
NSF charges for expired card??
February 01, 2012 01:24PM
I am being charged an NSF fee from what Im guessing is a parent company (bristol west) simply when my card had expired, not because I dont have the money. Can they do that? I tried to talking to somone but she tried to confuse me with the usual insurance mumbo jumbo. Can anybody provide some information please? ASAP

Subsidy repayment
February 02, 2012 08:56AM
I am a former career agent. I was never sent anything from Farmers about what I owe. I called, e-mailed and requested info for months. They send me to collections last night. They called, harassed me. I want this to stop. I hate Farmers, worst decision of my life. All lies. Can anyone help?

Re: Subsidy repayment
February 07, 2012 01:56AM
I had to call the field accounting office in Kansas City to setup a repayment plan. I don't have the number anymore but if you contact one of the main Farmers numbers and ask for the number for accounting they should be able to locate it for you. Be ready to hold when you call accounting... it wasn't a toll free number and I was on hold for over 45 minutes when I had to call them.

Farmers bought Bristol West in 2007. You may be stuck with the fee, but you can try to ask to speak with a supervisor. If you're lucky and can explain that it was an oversight they may be willing to waive the fee for you, but they usually like to hold on to those fees if they can justify it somehow. Good luck.

thank you all for posting, I was cautious about farmers, and I think I will walk away before I continue getting any closer.

JAy
March 08, 2012 04:42PM
Wow! I'm glad you guys took the time to post all this information. I got a interview with these guys Monday and I have no time to waste or money.
I hope to sell insurance and need to search another plan of action.

GE
June 15, 2012 11:03PM
Thank you for your input on Farmers, there is alot of misunderstanding in this industry as double speak from corporate entities is the modus operandi. While looking for a new opportunity it is helpful to obtain the inside story of how a company treats it's sales force.

Ok, my minds made up. NO WAY in hell do I ruin my life and start a career with Farmers. I should have known that it was a complete scam when my "recruiter" told me I had to pay a 63 dollar direct Tv bill that was in collections before they would offer me a "contract". Really? Then, I was told I "had to" complete my third interview by Friday the 23rd otherwise I wouldn't make the July . 9th training start date. Seriously? I have 17 years in the business and I have to train why? The recruiter practically begged me to change my vacation plans so I could make this "interview". I actually laughed when this kid said "congratulations" on making the 3rd interview. My wife said it best...if a company is that desparate to hire someone and they try and do it QUICK, they're up to something.

Idaho is a rtight to work state so does this mean Farmers non-compete clause is worthless. Interested, they are threatening to take agency due to not enough PIF.

I had a second interview scheduled for today... I was skeptical, but after reading the postings I will save my time and gas money.

September 24, 2012 07:23PM
I am in the proses of becoming a farmer’s agent, as a matter of fact today I pay for my background check! and now I am worry after all I have read, I been in insurance for over 6 years working for someone elseat a nationwide agancy and now Farmers is the only company that lets me start my "own" agency with very little money to start....
Any one has another company that requires minimum money to start???!!!

October 19, 2012 08:21AM
Sometimes when you see sites like this you think it's just sour grapes by one or two people. From the very first post until my post the stories have all been the same and mine is no different. I was about to sign the reserve contract TODAY but as with most of you it just didn't add up. From now on " if it sounds to good to be true it usually is " and " if it was this easy everybody would be doing it "!
Thank you all for confirming what I've been thinking all along. These guys are nothing but snakes. Thank you all for saving me. Going independent sounds like a better way to go.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
H7Ttv
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.