Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Becoming an agent for Farmers

Posted by Erskine 
Re: Becoming an agent for Farmers
November 09, 2012 01:45PM
ugh i feel so pissed for wasting my time. i went to 2 interviews. They seems pretty legit. They have an office in chicago land area and everything seemed ok. after the second interview and reading what everyone said i cant believe they are treating ppl like this. worst scam every. If they call me for a 3rd interview i am just going to laugh at the guy. seriously this is ridiculous.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

December 11, 2012 07:55PM
Going to talk to an agent right now. Glad I read through this first.

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

The worst thing about Farmers is their unethical underwriting P&C criteria. They are just liars, liars, liars. Can you believe that they will "insure" a transmission shop AS LONG AS they don't rebuild transmissions? WHAT? That's exactly right! Can you believe that they will "insure" a body shop AS LONG AS they don't do frame straightening? You got it! Can you believe that they will "insure" an auto mechanic/ garage as long as they don't do engine rebuilding? ALL TRUE. WHAT PLANET IS THIS INSURANCE COMPANY ON. FARMERS IS AN UTTERLY CORRUPT ULTIMATE 800 LB GORILLA WHO NEEDS TO BE PUT DOWN. Thank GOD I got out as a reserve agent.

Don't work here.
December 27, 2012 07:09AM
I used to work for Farmers as a reserve agent. I went to the interview and was given the picture of owning my own business and making six figures a year. When leaving the second interview I was asked to come up with a list of 100 people that are friends and family. I will learn later that this is a mistake on my part. I pass my tests and get licensed within a month and start attending the meetings. The first part of work and reaching out to people is telemarketing. I hated every second of telemarketing, I got called everything in the book and then some. I had looked at this site and refused to ask my friends and family to purchase insurance which was wise on my part in the long run. I worked for about a month before I decided it was time to quit. There were many reasons leading up to my resignation. I got to buddying up to the other agents that had gone career and was getting tips to success. One of the tips was to buy Internet leads. These are people that are shopping for insurance. The other agents were telling me to can the telemarketing unless I can afford to hire somebody to do it for me. I purchased leads like crazy for a week. After a week of buying leads we have the weekly meeting and this time I found out they are going to do a first time thing of providing free leads to reserve agents. There is a responsibility with these leads that you call them as soon as they come through. I got the leads but they came in at late hours of the night. I call them in the morning to find out other agents had gotten to them first. I get called into office about this. I get a chunk taken out of my rear end for not calling leads right away. I explained that they came in at 2:00 AM and the DM said call them anyway because they are shopping at that time. That night I get an email at 2:30 AM that a lead had come through so I called it. A very angry man answered the phone and informed me that he had signed up for that hours ago and that I had waken the kids up. Half hour later another one came through. Here goes round two at 3:00 AM. This man was very angry, and very vulgar with his language, you know what, I don't blame the guy. I would be very angry if somebody called me at 3:00 in the morning wanting to talk insurance. I went in to the office the next morning and told them I was quitting. I told them I called the leads when they came in and and people did what I said they would do, they got angry. His parting words "YOU CALLED PEOPLE IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT." Let me rephrase your memory " these leads are not coming in till 2:00 AM" " call them anyway."

If you take on a job with Farmers Insurance Group make sure you have plenty of assets that you can use. Have at least $10,000 sitting aside to start your business. Do not sell to your friends and family be because if you quit those policies get moved to more established agents. I had an Aunt that bought an auto policy and her policy was moved to a different agent. I told her to drop it ASAP. She has since switched back to her old company. If any of your family or friends buy policies from you, tell them to drop it ASAP if you resign or are terminated. Also if you resign, get in the system and destroy any history of your friends and family that is in the database unless they purchased a policy. If you ran a quote, Farmers will send them mail, emails, and phone calls religiously unless they a removed from the database.

The next thing is the office. Farmers wants you to have emaculate offices that cost thousands of dollars a month to have. They will not let you work out of your home, and they have to approve the location if are renting an office. My advice, milk the district office for all its worth.

Bottom line. If you do not have any assets set aside that can help to get a business up and going then Farmers is not the job for you. If you do not have the money to hire a telemarketer that can do it for 40 hours a week, don't work here. Telemarketing is the biggest waste of time ever. You could call 1000 people and be lucky to set one appointment, and if you do hire a telemarker, they won't stay. You have to sell 40 policies to move on to career agency but that is about impossible. You can reach out to your family and friends but they will soon shut you out of their lives becaused they do not want to be solicited. Leads are the only way to make it through your 40 policies but the management restricts you so much on leads and will encourage you not to use them. Best advice, if you want to sell insurance, go with a different company.

Re: Advice on getting out!!!
February 04, 2013 04:12PM
I am an agent from New Jersey. I am not entirely sure how your non-compete works in Arizona but I would imagine it's much the same all over.

They are enforceable for two years. There must be consideration on both parties. However it is my understanding that they cannot restrict you from selling insurance for another carrier. They do restrict your ability to solicit the clients that you received commission from and placed with Farmers.

In short, You can still get a contract and write for another compoany but can't solicit or encourage your existing client to leave Farmers.

I hope that is helpful

March 01, 2013 09:32PM
I want to thank you all for your posts. There doesn't seem to be one positive post about Farmers on here. I have (or should say had) an interview to become an agent today and just decided to do some further research. After reading these posts I will not be wasting my time going to the interview. Thanks again.

I had an interview with a DM in Oxnard, can yesterday and I've been on the fence about accepting the position. I've been out of work since I graduated last May and I'm desperate for a job, but I don't know if I'm this desperate. I've never been a sales person, my degree is in graphic design, and if they think I'm going to push their policies on my friends and family they're sorely mistaken. I would be more comfortable making a million cold calls than alienating people I care about to build someone else's business, which is what it sounds like will eventually happen. I'm just tired of being unemployed, so for those who have tried it and left, which is better, a job at farmers or no job at all?

Yep, Farmers does kinda suck. I am sure all insurance companies suck, but Farmers' recruiting program is deplorable. You will spend twice the amount you make. The termination speech I just got from my DM was as rehearsed as his sales pitch. It rolled out of his mouth so fast and smooth that I don't think he even realized that most of what he was saying did not even apply to me. It contradicted everything he had told me in "training" and was otherwise the most childish and aggressive termination I have ever witnessed. I was anything but surprised, I am the 4th reserve agent to fail under his direction in the short 3 months of my time there.

If you have the means to purchase an existing successful agency, or you are as blood thirsty and tenacious as a piranha, it is possible to make a great living with Farmers. But if you are not greedy, and just want a nice job, keep on searching. And if you go to your interview, and the DM is a 5 foot dwarf with shiny little shoes, turn and run!!

OMG! I wish I had found this site before I started my second month as a reserve agent! This company will MILK YOU dry. I have paid thousands of dollars in gas, time,and training, and have nothing to show for it but an elevated stress level. I SO wish I hadn't jumped at the chance of becoming an agent. I'm so glad I didn't recruit friends/family to switch policies. I'm quitting tomorrow.

Been an agent 23 years and I'm leaving July 1. I had a great growing agency until farmers became totally uncompetitive in this area. With farmers it's always the agents fault. Nearly every agent in our district despises farmers and the new DM. In my 23 years farmers has gone from a family to a uncompetitive demeaning dictatorship. If you're' thinking of becoming a farmers agent take my advice and run like the wind. If you decide to go with farmers good luck and God Bless. I'll be an independent agent July 2.

Does anyone have a new perspective on Farmers Insurance for potential agents in 2013? Are their ways of doing business still the same as everyone describes here? I see lots of tv advertisements, newspaper ads and direct mail in my area. I'd like to hear from some current agents who have joined in the last year or so. So far from reading the comments here i'm very discouraged but greatful for the heads up of becoming an agent. I appreciate all of your input. Thanks

Cesar

Just finished reading thru all the threads and I must say thank you for your versions and input. I was hopeful this could be a lucrative career. Now I understand it is was built on a giant sand castle during low tide. I will not be making it to my 2pm appointment today. They gave me great visions of wealth possibilities, but I was suspicious, hopeful yet reserved. I wanted to check other experiences 1st. Thanks for the low down !

March 14, 2014 03:50PM
I'm SO SO GLAD I found this site. Being shrewd and not believing everything that I was told over the phone and in emails paid off. Thank all you guys, even the posts from nearly 7 years ago. I have enough problems so I don't need Farmers to ruin my life . I Have an interview 2 hours from now but I will not show. I have another opportunity to become an independent that I will pursue. Thanks again guys for airing Farmers dirty laundry. This site made my day.

I am invited to apply for the farmers agent. Thank you all for sharing in this block. I will be away from this trap!

Oh my god, after reading all these stories I am definetly bailing on my "interview". I thought there was something strange when the recuiter not only left me a voicemail, but also left me an e-mail to tell me that he left me a voice mail and to call him back.

Employers are normally not that eager unless you are some super-rare amoeba scientist or something. I called back and he asked if I had any bankruptcies or collections! What is this, a cash advance loan? Thank you all for letting us know that this is what is basically is.

And shame on you J.K. Simmons! What a sad sell-out.

What the hell.
In 16 minutes I'll be going in to a farmers insurance
office to discuss a "career".
Thank you so much for the comments here.
Is there actually a good insurance agency to
go talk with?
I'd love to know.
Anyone?

Last year, a year ago or so, I responded to an ad in Craiglist. I called, left a message, then I was called a week later. I was told I could be working for the #1 company in the insurance field in the whole US.
The DM seemed nice. He heard me telling him about my past with another life insurance company and he gave me the good news that his wasn't the same, here I could progress big time.

Then, he asked me if I was ready, I said yes. I signed 3 documents, dumb! No idea what I was signing!

Training was pushy. Sell, sell to the highest bidders he said. Don't go for the lower but the highest premiums. It was a training I can't forget. I almost got spanked for answering questions.

Then, when I started to think of doing good, I asked if I could use a laptop computer. They told me NO. Why I asked? Because the new ones have Windows Vista or Windows 7 and most of them have Internet Explorer 10 or 11 but Farmers required IE 7 or 9! I couldn't believe it! I had to work with old and beat up computers in order to quote anything!

Then, to get into their website or your own page? I had to log in, then click on this and click on that. There's no continuance, it is not that you filled in the data in one page and then comes the second. Nope! You had to click on this corner and then on the other. You wanted to track your wannabe clients, click on this banner. A banner? What the heck!

When they started to push me to drop AAA, which is $300 a year cheaper than Farmers, I started to feel that they were too pushy to my taste. And having problems at home had me in this situation where I couldn't meet many people as the job requires. So, after getting 1 customer, I stopped going to the office because it was costing me too much in gas and besides that I had to take care on one of my kids. They were going then through a website transformation to make inputting the data smoothly. But it was time for me to quit. After the only client called me to get him a quote for his auto policy and asked them for help via email, after they didn't respond I felt I was gone. A month ago, I received a termination letter from Farmers. My manages would contact me in 14 days they said. Still waiting for him.

Oh, never, ever the DM mentioned the $2,500 I would receive if I qualified would be a loan. He said I would be paid that money if I filled my quota.

Don't work for Farmers if you don't like to be pushed around. And if you want to turn your friends into enemies, don't solicit them their business, you will regret it.

But, as somebody said, if you are eager, if you like to get bloody and never mind being called anything, go for it. Your life, your stress, your family.

KC
September 29, 2014 04:58PM
Can Farmers insurance shut your agency down for not hitting goals and making numbers, etc? I was talking to them about the fast track program (show your $50k in capital and open your agency), but after reading some of this I am concerned.

April 21, 2016 02:21PM
Tom, if I left Farmers as a reserve agent, not a career agent, would this still apply? Seeing as I didn't sign any "contract"?

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
htL6y
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.