Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Subsidy Payback My Story

Posted by 3yearcareer 
3yearcareer
Subsidy Payback My Story
August 13, 2015 12:15AM
Hello everyone, AS i read through these posts to try and find help with my subsidy and what I owe back to farmers, it comes to my attention that nobody follows through with what happened to them after Farmers sent them to collections or they decided not to pay it back. I take that back, there is one girl who says she filed bankruptcy after they sent her to collections. As I am going through this now and know there are many more that this will happen to after me I plan on writing to this blog and letting you all know where I am at in the stages of this fight NOT to pay my subsidy back. I will let you know whether or not I win. If i win then I hope to find an attorney and many others of you that wish to purse a class action lawsuit against them.
Background: I joined Farmers almost 3 years ago. Believed into everything they said. 3000.00+ month guaranteed. No problem to meet your numbers. Wrong, Wrong, rates went up. long time agents lost customers right and left. Life policy rates hiked. Finally meet quota to go career. They DON'T tell you the 3000.00+ you receive is BEFORE deductions, mvrs, errors and omissions, other crap. so essentially after all deductions you are lucky to walk away with 1800.00 BEFORE TAX. take away 25% and what have you got? Hardly anything. Then add a csr and you really bring home nothing. The best thing i did was chose match program for my subsidy but I DID NOT max out every month.Needless to say i fell off subsidy a few times, wrote some fake policies to get back on otherwise my DM, who wasn't my boss, but sure acted like it when i wasnt doing well, would harass me. The last year I had a few family problems, became a mom and decided I didn't want to deal with all the crap that goes with this. After speaking w long time agents I did the right thing. I felt relieved.
Now: I sent in a termination notice to my DM effective Oct of last year. Since there is a 90 wait before termination can happen through Insurance law my contract with Farmers didn't terminate until March of this year. Weird right? 90 days should have been Jan but i think my DM didn't turn in my letter until later to watch his numbers. NO MATTER WHAT A DM SAYS THEY ARE ALL ABOUT NUMBERS, NUMBERS, NUMBERS, REMEMBER THIS IF YOU DEICED TO BE AN AGENT. Luckily i have the original letter. I received notice from Farmers that i would be terminated do to no meeting my numbers. Weird again, since I gave up my agency and they took away my login info Jan 30. hmmm I received a collections from RMS requesting payment in full for 25,000.00. Like I have that! Farmers put me in whole where i had to get @ credit cards to keep going. When i had a csr i was told to have i was luck if after all deductions, taxes, payroll, I myself would bring home 500.00. This letter came after I already received 2 letters from Farmers requesting payment in full. I have responded back to Farmers and RMS with a letter- which i will gladly share if i win this battle, along with this letter I sent in info from the IRS stating they taxed me wrong, should be a 1099 E and i have also asked for my contract to be sent to me. I have the original i first signed. They sent me a second one i signed at a later date. Funny in both contracts NO SUBSIDY PAYBACK REQUIREMENTS! READ YOUR CONTRACTS! This was a few weeks ago that i sent these letters in. still waiting to hear back. When I do I will add to this post. Also, THE SUBSIDY THEY SAY IS A LOAN AND TAX AND INTEREST FREE. NOT TRUE. YOU ARE TAXED ON IT BECAUSE THEY FILE WITH YOUR COMMISSIONS AND THERE IS AN IMPOUNDED INTEREST IN IT. BEFORE YOU LEAVE FARMERS PRINT THE CAREER SUBSIDY PAGE THAT SHOWS NUMBERS, SUBSIDY PAID TO YOU AND NEW BUSINESS COMMISSION YOU ACTUALLY MADE. I did this and it will help with my fight because it show the break down of what they paid me and what i truly made in commissions. This too I sent in to Farmers. Hope this post will help others

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Re: Subsidy Payback My Story
November 02, 2015 05:38AM
Hi, is looks like we are in the same boat. everything you mentioned as far as resigning, the 90day requirement PLUS the 90day DM extension is the same as me. Also the collections situation. I owe $41000 in subsidy because I choose the guarantee career contract. I am fine with paying what i owe if it is ethical and right, but I'm not going to not feed my family to pay them $1100 a month.

I would love to know what state you are in, to see if there are any differences. I am in Washington state. If we can somehow work together in this process I would love to partner with you. I don't know how that would work, but I need to figure something out. You are definitely ahead of me in this process, so let me know what I need to do to catch up maybe.

Anything you can share is appreciated. Thank you so much!

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

year career
November 05, 2015 06:15PM
First I am glad that this site is back up and running! Thank you to site manager.
I am in Oregon. As Oregon and WA run together so much i bet there are not many differences. I would not pay it back. Supposedly they will work with you on a payment plan,but i have yet to hear or see of this. Did you keep any records of what you were paid via commissions vs subsidy? That is huge. I am anxious to see what is going to happen at tax time this next year because of all of this. Hopefully it is the end. Look at the IRS in 1099 tax laws first to help yourself get started.

yearcareer
November 05, 2015 06:33PM
To date, I have not heard anything from Farmers about my subsidy except one letter stating that now i owe more for my payback because of the month they covered my health insurance which was for March 2015. I terminated my contract with Farmers effective 1/31/15 and received no payment /check from them for Feb or March nor could I login to my dashboard because I was logged out. I gave them a 90 day notice like they requested. 10/29/14-1/31/15. Which is/was actually over 90 days! So I am wondering how they think I owe this money when my contract as far as I knew was terminated on 1/31/15. It will be interesting, scary, and nerve racking to see what i get from them in a 1099 form for taxes this coming year.

November 21, 2015 02:31PM
yearcareer - It sounds like we ended our agencies with farmers about the same time....NOT terminated for not achieving their desired numbers. I would love to keep in touch since we were in the same region and might have similar experiences. I want this farmers bu11shit to disappear like a bad dream. I'm tired of remembering the crappy experience I had that lasted almost 3 years....and even more the extended effects of being asked to pay subsidy, being lied to and threatened. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have and we can get through this together. We (former agents that left farmers and are in this subsidy situation) need to stick together. Our sanity depends on it, because the unknown is a scary place and I (and I'm sure you also) have better things to think about/do...than dealing with this bu11shit. keep in touch....

November 25, 2015 06:56AM
Do you have to honor the 90 day? I can't take one more second of insurance. I want to mail a letter telling all my clients which are a few that I resigned and will no longer be an agent. I also would like to know what the subsidy payment are like. Help I'm desperate

3yearcareer
December 01, 2015 01:05AM
Yes you do have to honor the 90 day rule. It is actually a department of insurance rule not just Farmers. i don't know what the subsidy payments are like yet. I have yet to start mine. They do want it in full. I am currently fighting mine. I do not have 25000 to pay back in full. LOL I owe 10500 in credit cards bills i had to use to make things work while in Farmers.

3yearcareer
December 01, 2015 01:12AM
Last week I received another letter from RMS in response to my original letter. They sent back in reference as to why I owe this amount my contract. Remember this is my second contract not my original contract. I read the thing 3 times and I cannot find where they say subsidy is a loan that becomes a bill once leave Farmers and is owed on spot. they call it contract value but no where does it say that the subsidy becomes a contract value. They do threaten to resend in to IRS that I made 25000 and tax me on it. I don't know how they can tax me twice on something. I am going to contact someone with the IRS and ask them this. Fuckfarmers, how do I contact you? I agree we need to stick together. After reading many of these posts everyone starts a rant w saying we should go after Farmers and then it ends no follow through. I don't know how this will pan out until next year and when it is over. But the more people that show the same things the better. PLEASE READ YOUR CONTRACTS AND KEEP ALL OF YOUR CAREER TRACKER FORMS THAT SHOWS WHAT NB COMMISSIONS YOU ACTUALLY MADE AND WHAT SUBSIDY PAID.

December 09, 2015 12:50PM
3yearcareer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last week I received another letter from RMS in
> response to my original letter. They sent back in
> reference as to why I owe this amount my contract.
> Remember this is my second contract not my
> original contract. I read the thing 3 times and I
> cannot find where they say subsidy is a loan that
> becomes a bill once leave Farmers and is owed on
> spot. they call it contract value but no where
> does it say that the subsidy becomes a contract
> value. They do threaten to resend in to IRS that
> I made 25000 and tax me on it. I don't know how
> they can tax me twice on something. I am going to
> contact someone with the IRS and ask them this.
> Fuckfarmers, how do I contact you? I agree we need
> to stick together. After reading many of these
> posts everyone starts a rant w saying we should go
> after Farmers and then it ends no follow through.
> I don't know how this will pan out until next year
> and when it is over. But the more people that show
> the same things the better. PLEASE READ YOUR
> CONTRACTS AND KEEP ALL OF YOUR CAREER TRACKER
> FORMS THAT SHOWS WHAT NB COMMISSIONS YOU ACTUALLY
> MADE AND WHAT SUBSIDY PAID.

Yep, you and I are in exactly the same boat. RMS is the company it was turned to. They never did respond to my request for a subsidy/commission breakdown. They told me that they sent it back in July. Then told me to fax in my request and no response was returned to me. RMS keeps telling me if I don't pay that this will be turned into the IRS and taxed as earned income. I called her last week and left a message that after reviewing my 1099s, it has always been taxed since the beginning. I have not heard from her in a while.
I still have to review my contract about repaying the subsidy. I mean, if it is a valid charge...I'll deal with it. But let's at least get all the cards on the table and clear up the details and tax situation. They already have all my policies, my crooked DM just gave them to his wife's agency.
Please share if you do end up speaking to the IRS. I also have $20k in credit card debt, because I was that determined to make it work. I'm just waiting to see if anyone pays this thing. Or what outcomes there are. It's a sad, unfortunate ending to a very weak and ridiculour experience.

3yearcareer - message me directly and we can exchange emails. I don't want to shae that info openly here. For some reason, I can't click on your screen name to message you. I look forward to connecting and supporting each other as we deal with this BS.

I had to register again, for some reason I forgot my passwork to my original name here... LoL!

December 16, 2015 08:19PM
I received another letter from RMS stating that they have left multiply messages on my phone and tried to contact me various ways. However, I have had no such phone calls or messages and I have the same phone number. They say if I do not respond soon or make payment then they will do what Farmers is telling them to do and that i assume is re send in my "contract value" to the IRS that I made 25,000$ this year which means they will tax me again on the same money already taxed on. Still have yet to respond to this letter. I plan on sending a letter to Farmers and RMS again.

December 23, 2015 04:33PM
So I was contacted by farmers after we settled the subsidy debt. They are telling me I had a major commercial policy cancel and I have to pay back the charge back. I contacted them and told them that we settled on a one time payment and that this was the end of all debts with the company. I asked them to go back and look or listen to the (recorded call) and get back with me. Now I have a letter from RMS.

Have any of you heard of this yet? I terminated my agency in January and have gotten this letter in December. Seems like a large gap to me.

December 30, 2015 07:17PM
No I have not heard of this before. I do know that they can charge you back within 3 months after your termination. If the charge back happened then then they have cause to do so. However, if the charge back was after 3 months after you termination then I think they are in violation of the contract.

January 13, 2016 11:15PM
Last week I received a letter from RMS that Farmers was willing to reduce my amount owed by 50%. If i could make the payment in full. I sent another letter to them stating that there is no repayment outlined in the contract they sent me from Farmers there fore I do not owe this amount and asked them to stop any and all correspondences. After this letter we will see what happens. They can either cease and dismiss it completely or sue me and put a judgement against me to garnish my wages. Yay sad smiley Scary and unknown I just hope that this turns out in my favor. $25000 is a lot and worth going to court for. Hopefully it does not go that far.

January 30, 2016 07:11AM
From what I understand... and this is only from the wacked out information that Farmers idiot employees will offer.... if the charge back occurs within the 90day requirement, they will charge you back. They did that to me and added it to my subsidy debt.... those assholes....

I am sorry to hear you are in the same boat as some of us....

January 30, 2016 07:14AM
Farmers offered the 50% settlement at the beginning. either pay in full 50% of the subsidy debt or 100% of the subsidy debt over 3yrs... either program was possible for me..... So i'm just waiting around to see what happens at the end of this nightmare....

February 25, 2016 10:43PM
Interesting. I called farmers accounting to get my year end folio deductions. I was logged out of my agent page on January 31,2015 by my DM office. I thought I was terminated, little did I realize I was not. My dm or dm office never turned in my letter of termination effective 1/31/15. Instead I was terminated due to not reaching the 4/40 quota. By that note I was active until 3/3/15 however I was logged out of eagent. Funny thing is on my folio deductions during February and March I opted in to coop mail program and advertising co op. How did I agree to this program when I was not able to get into eagent? How corrupt is my dm and his office? They took almost 300.00 out of my baby's and family's mouth by doing this!! Shame on them! I hope karma hits them hard!

September 21, 2016 04:51PM
I am in the exact situation, except I've been with Farmers almost 4 years. Careered 3 months after I started.
I have been so stressed out with customers complaining about rate increases and horrible claims experiences. I have to sit there and get yelled at for things that are out of my control. I can't represent a company that treated me horribly during my own claim. In which my vehicle is still not the way it was prior to the claim because Farmers refused to allow more repairs, claiming it was prior damage.
I also went through a pregnancy in which my baby was still born and an ugly divorce. This has stressed me out and broke me pretty badly.
I have no support from my district office.I never hear from my DM, unless I have done something wrong which is MAYBE twice a year.

Please help. I don't know where to start. I need out of this.

November 01, 2016 08:39PM
I am almost 3 months into my career contract and am READY TO BE DONE WITH FARMERS!!!! High production requirements and no support for how to make the requirements. I am going to fall off subsidy anyway (only sold 20 P&C and no life this quarter) and am going to attempt to go independent. Tired of being told what to do from the DM office where there is nothing but a big push to work your natural market. I have received $7,500 (come December folio close) in subsidy and have been to U of F and will have to pay that back. Has anyone quit this early??? Any advice?????

November 21, 2016 02:03AM
I left Farmers after 2 and 1/2 years in February. My closing ratio had dipped below 5% due to premium increases etc and I had gone through all my own money and even though I met quotas every quarter, I still couldn't make a living and pay my bills. I now find myself in a situation where they have sent me a bill for $27000+ and a bill for $8000+ and both claim to be the total bill. I have tried to work with Vickie Martinez and then RMS and now I have an attorney from New Jersey calling me and threatening me with whatever comes next. I have consistently asked for a breakdown of the bill as I never received any explanation that was meaningful and to date, have received none. I have sent multiple letters, including certified letters and never received any response to my single consistent request for a breakdown of the bill they have sent me. Additionally, they have not acknowledged that they sent me bills for two different amounts. I did as all of you did and followed the rules and passed my securities exams right after my father passed away as was told over and over that the $6000 was a bonus. It wasn't until after I had received that money that another agent informed me that it was a loan. My DM, when confronted by me about that, didn't bat an eye about his intentional misinformation to me and told me that he would pay back half if I didn't make my goals. Now they withhold the explanation of how they came up with that amount due and my suspicion is they have violated lending laws as my DM told me that not only was the $6000 a bonus but he also told me that the first year's subsidies would be split between me and him if I had to pay it back. I have kept in touch with other agents and find that at least one other has received a breakdown and still another received a bill but no follow up was ever done and he didn't pay them a dime. I find it incredibly alarming that there is a huge inconsistency in their process and that there seems to be no ramifications for their sketchy business practices. I have been told by numerous attorneys and law makers that I have a case but no one seems interested in taking it due to Farmers reputation for throwing their incredible resources at anyone who challenges them. I am at a loss as to how to proceed, even though I was the only agent that met their goals and did everything possible to make it work and still couldn't due to their changing premiums, policies, billing that made it impossible for me to be successful, in my opinion. I am currently writing a complaint to the insurance commissioner and the attorney general of the state of Iowa hoping for a door to open to this sketchy business practice and asking for them to investigate so I am the last person in Iowa to be a victim of this type of behavior. There are other issues that my DM did as well that seem illegal such as threatening to pull the support from new agents if they don't sign up for the $275 monthly AMP program, at roughly $3300 annually from each agent, which seems a bit like extortion. And I have yet to find an agent that found that investment paid off in any meaningful way. I have had letters sent to my new employer, which is an independent agency, where I am much happier and much more successful and have been threatened by Farmers representatives if I don't pay up, even though there has never been any breakdown of how either amount was calculated. I believe that I am being charged for everything, even though I was told by my DM that it was his burden as well, hence the lending law violation. Becoming an agent for Farmers has been the single worst experience of my life.

January 26, 2017 04:21AM
In a similar boat. I was terminated last March (2016) even though I resigned in Jan of 2016. I had letters after letters sent to me by the collection agency and finally in Dec of 2016 they had a lawyer call me and call me 2 times after that. The same lawyer called me on Monday and said they were moving to the next step. I assume this is where they sue me. I have combed the forums and haven't found a single person who has posted what happened after the lawyer contacted them. I have. It lawyered up because if I had that kind of money, I would just pay Farmers what I owe them, $6500.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you

February 16, 2017 09:08PM
To date I have received a 1099 misc form from Farmers and a letter from them stating that this is waiving my subsidy. What is interesting the amount they kept saying i owed is not what is on the 1099. Also, the amount is under 'other income' box 3. Which in a way is good because instead of employer tax I pay my regular tax on it. However, I chose not to file it with my taxes this year. A risk I know, but I worked for only one company this year and not anyone else. Hopefully that I am playing my cards right and if in the future the IRS asks me about it I have enough proof that I already paid taxes on it and didn't work for them this year. We will see. All I can do is live my life, hope for the best and deal with it if and when it comes.
Bless us all!

March 08, 2017 07:15PM
I am with you on this! 100% This company is robbing good people and we need to take a stand! I'm not going to let them f up my credit. Did they give me the clients? No Did they drive and meet with every client? No Did they pay for my marketing? No. The company is a freaking fraud! They wanted me in their office 45 plus hours a week and hounding me every dam minute. I got 3 freaking pay checks 1 for 1500.00, 1 for 4700.00 and 1 for 2500.00. 2 checks were from Nov, and Dec of 2015 and 1 was for January 2016, I got their rotten bs insurance for my family which I canceled because it cost 1800.00 a month! I canceled that in March, but somehow they are claiming I had it still even though I showed other insurance in force. Terminated in November even though I quit the dam company in April, never went to the office, was just freaking done! They sent me a 1099 for 8100.00 for 2016?? WTF? And they are trying to collect almost 15k from me! I'm fed up! It's disgusting and it's completely wrong. This company gave it to me good and now I'm going to get all the other agents screwed by this company in a class action suit. Email me immediately if you are in!

I am in the same boat. I agree we all can get into class action lawsuit. Please inform me I in anytime.

So they ended up waiving the subsidy because there was no clause is that correct? Ive been paying taxes on my subsidy because I'm running to daylight but if they are saying its a loan that I have to pay back then there is no taxes on loans correct? I'm about to be in this nightmare too. I put my 90 day notice and got a letter that my last day will be March 19th. I owe $36000 minus CV $6800. Not ready for this battle.

I’min the samd boat. I was recently contacted by an attorneyvia e-mail for the balancd owed.I’m located in Cslifornia. What has happendd since speaking with the attornry . Sorry for ghe type’o Iam sending ghis from my phone.

July 30, 2018 08:39PM
I just received a letter saying my contract was only worth $1400.00.
That I owe $13k is this a joke. I paid over $5k for leads amd worked my butt off for these clients and now that I am gone its only worth $1400.00. If anyone on here is working on a class action let me know im in.

Brava
August 20, 2018 04:36AM
Hey. I'm in California as well. I owe over $12,000. Anyone know any good attorneys?

I know this conversation is a few years old. Hopefully you can help. My DM lied to me said they would pay half the subsidy and the rest would get waived. Yet I've been trying to leave for over a year, but cant because they said I owed 70k in subsidy. A good month I make 500 bucks, i cant live like this anymore. Did they waive all your subsidy? Can you please give me some direction so i can get the same outcome. Thank you.

I'm in the same boat. I submitted my resignation in October 2014 making my Farmers appointment expiring in January 2015. They issued a 1099 for the subsidy balance for 2016 so now I'm in the hole with the IRS. I am wondering if there is some sort of statutes of limitations that a company can issue a 1099 for income/subsidy paid. Also, seems like terms and conditions would be apply if you have a "loan" right?

November 19, 2019 03:46AM
California here. I left Farmers 3 years ago. I received a threatening letter by an attorney. I responded with proof my DM not Farmers assisted me with my final paycheck. Then two months laters I received an offer to settle at 50% ($13,000). I replied and said I will not agree to anything until it is explained to my why I did not receive my last paycheck. Then I did not hear anything. That was over a year ago. Then last week IRS hits me up with a bill for unreported income! I never received the 1099 as I had moved. Now, my battles continues. I thought this chapter with this hellish company was over. I know our subsidy helped offset certain costs but I can’t even begin to know where to start. I will keep you all updated. Prayers are appreciated. This puts me into such a depressing state. Best of luck.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
cJUXn
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.