Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile Web Site Home
Phorum
This Site is Unauthorized by Farmers Insurance Group. By accessing this site you are agreeing to the Rules/Terms

Advanced

Under insured on condo--errors and omissions?

Posted by KH 
I recently had a catastrophic water leak in my condo--it had been leaking for likely 2 weeks flooding the entire upstairs/downstairs before it was discovered as I was away.

Little did I know, I just had 20K of insurance to cover the water remediation and rebuild--everything! I had no idea what these terms referred to, but went with what my agent advised 18 years prior for my condo. They knew there was also an HOA policy in force which is in question right now. Every wall, ceiling, all carpet, all cabinets and countertops and light fixtures have been torn out and will need to be replaced. The estimate is nearly 50K.

When I called my agent to inquire why my limit was so low (yet I have 60K for contents and 26K for housing in case of loss, even 21 K for 2 rings--all higher than the property itself), she immediately got defensive claiming i "never wanted to increase it". Never in 18 years was I contacted with the alert that I was so severely under insured with encouragement to increase it. Never did I deny doing so. I trusted their recommendation and went with it, period. She also brought my father in to the discussion, inappropriately, who I had referred to their office stating "he never wanted to increase it either". As if this was some family trait.

Not only was this highly inappropriate and unprofessional, it was inaccurate.In reality my father had contacted her two weeks prior to the flood, requesting his coverage increased due to the HOA policy deductible increasing. Her defensiveness only managed to feed my insecurity that my insurance company was not going to have my back in this.

She also mentioned that I "should have known" this 7 yrs ago when I had another smaller water damage issue. All I knew then was there was adequate coverage to cover it--not exactly what it was.It should have alerted HER that if that incident had been more catastrophic it would not have covered it and used it as a time to educate me on increasing it, but there were no such conversations, ever, in 18 years. I would get annual form letter post cards saying "it's another year, do you want to review your policy?" which she also said was my fault for not noticing it then. Bottom line is I relied on her judgment in writing the policy and never felt the need to change it on my own. Isn't that HER job??

Luckily I have a great adjuster and don't have to deal with the agent who is doing his best to work this out. Meanwhile the HOA policy is sitting on their hands and my house is sitting there, dry and no rebuild going on waiting for decisions to be made.

Someone mentioned to me something about "errors and omissions". Do I have any recourse at all with my agent who so poorly advised me?

Farmers Insurance Rated Worst Farmers Insurance Sucks T-shirts Farmers Insurance Alternatives

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.
mW6VD
This is a moderated forum. Your message will remain hidden until it has been approved by a moderator or administrator

Copyright 2005 -  FarmersInsuranceGroupSucks.com - All Rights Reserved 
This site is published as a public service to warn consumers of the business practices of Farmers Insurance Group.  This site is in no way affiliated, connected with, or sponsored by Farmers Insurance Group or any of its subsidiaries. All content and information on this site is my opinion or the opinion of those referenced. This site is for educational purposes. The information in the Complaints section or from other people, blogs or web sites  are provided at face value, we have not confirmed  any of these stories/opinions.  We are not responsible for accuracy in story content. Copyrighted material has been used for non-commercial purposes only.  By accessing this site you agree to immediately contact us to report any incorrect data or misrepresentations of facts. Links to any other sites are for informational purposes only and should not be considered an endorsement of the site.